Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single/Double conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkrogers

Technical User
Jun 27, 2001
GB
I've come across this anomaly and wondered if anybody could shed some light on it for me. I've fixed the problem by using a Single instead of a Double, but am curious as to why the problem arises in the first place.

* I'm using a SQL Server database containing a table with a field that stores a decimal number to a precision of 4 decimal places.
* A stored procedure returns that number as a REAL.
* The stored procedure is called from VB and the return value (temporarily stored in a variant, in an array) is assigned to a Double variable.
* The value stored in the table is (for example) 1.5384. The value that ends up in the Double is (for example) 1.5384004020451. How/why does that happen? I'd have thought that the extra precision would be padded out with zeroes if necessary, not random digits.
* If I assign the value to a variable of type Single, then it's fine.

TIA,
gkrogers

Incidentally, this problem can be demonstrated in a much simpler way by typing "Debug.Print CDbl(CSng(1.5384))" in the Immediate window - you get 1.53840005397797.

Regards,
gkrogers

The reason for this behavior is the in-ability to store the fractional parts of decimal numbers exactly in binary notation. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I don't use SQL server much, but you said it STORED the number to 4 decimal precision. I don't think that's true. It might DISPLAY at 4 decimal precision but I doubt it would store a real number that way.

When you saw the double, you saw the actual stored value of the single.

I could be wrong.

It is as cajuncenturion explains.

Another trivial example that illustrates the point:
[tt]
Dim lp As Single

For lp = 0.1 To 1 Step 0.1
Debug.Print lp
Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor