Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single computer (CPU etc) for more monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughLg

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
MY
Most of the time i need to view about 4 application windows simultaneously, but a single monitor makes uncomfortable for this usage. I'm not afford to buy another computer (CPU..) but another monitor

Is it possible to use more than 1 monitor with a single computer (CPU, motherboard)?

Yes - you can get a USB monitor. The only problem is whether your graphics card can handle it.

In fact, if you get everything USB and a whole bunch of USB ports, you don't have to worry which connector fits into which hole.

So what is to be displayed on the every monitor? Same thing?

Most graphics cards these days support multiple monitors (2), some even more (Matrox but way to expensive)...

with the drivers you can set up the monitors as one big monitor, or clone it (shows the same on both)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I've yet to try 3 USB and 1 SVGA monitor on a single PC.

I use dual monitor on a daily basis .... I don't think I could survive with just one monitor.
A SLI motherboard with 2 video cards could support 4 monitors. but, You need cheap. go to the local computer store and ask for a video card that can support 2 monitors ...and if yours does already you can skip going to the store.
You need to have the drivers from the video card manufacturer not the Microsoft default.
Most of the new drivers work with you for dual monitor support.

list the video card and your hardware so there is a better idea of what you are working with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back