Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulator Question on 642-801

Status
Not open for further replies.

appell

Programmer
Jul 31, 2003
US
Couldn't get sim question to to work on 642-801. It asked me to set up a simple OSPF router. Entered:

Enable
config t
router ospf 1
network 24.0.0.0 0.0.0.255 area 2

I got error carrot under "network" and within the mask

Been surching to 3 days for my error, is the simularor goofey or do I have a syntax error? thanks in advance

The simulator could be goofy, as here is a working OSPF configuration from my CCNP 4 class from a few years ago:

router ospf 1
log-adjacency-changes
redistribute connected subnets
redistribute static subnets
network 172.16.10.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

This is for Area 0, but it does work...

Just been reading TL's 640-801 study guide & he mentions that you must have an area 0. Is this why it doesn't like your answer? Or am I being misled (again!!)

Well, you'll have to have an area 0 in your OSPF network somewhere, otherwise it won't work at all :)

Area 0 is only needed when you do multiple area OSPF. For single area, any number works but when you try to join areas, area 0 must be defined.
For the simulators, I'd bet they want the area 0 defined for the first area. That's what we teach as best practice.

I tend to agree, single area OSPF implies that one would define an area 0 to start with. I would think that the simulator would want an area zero defined as the "first" area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back