Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulating Coloured Paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeahwhatever

Technical User
Jan 14, 2008
GB

Hi All,

I've searched high and low for a solution to this but nothing seems to do the trick so i was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I produce a publication that's printed on pink paper. Obviously, the pdf files that get send to the printers have a white background, but for our online edition i'd like to have pdfs with a pink background to simulate the printed edition.

I've experimented endlessly with setting the [paper] swatch to pink and then selecting 'simulate overprint' in the export options (under 'output') but i can't seem to export anything but a white background.

Ideally i'd like my web pdfs to look exactly as the pages look in indesign when the [paper] swatch is changed to the background colour and 'Overprint Preview' is selected in the 'view' menu. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks for your time,

Chris.

On your master page, draw a box that covers the whole page. If it's A4 (210 x 297 mm) make your box 220 x 307 and set the x + y co-ordinates to -5 and -5. Make the box pink. Then go to View>Overprint Preview and make sure that is highlighted. If you put this onto another layer you can turn it on and off for creating print and web versions of your document.

Here is some info

Another suggestion would be to use a spot colour for the Pink box and then you choose not to print that colour for your print versions, by using the ink manager.

even simpler,

Change the paper color in your swatches.

and then activate the overprint feature

Carlow

Maybe I missed something here, have you acutally got that to produce a Pink Background at PDF?

I've tried the simulate overprint, but that does not give me the Pink Background.

you don't have to produce a pink background, because the paper is pink. So you set your paper color to pink.

The paper color is a swatch that isn't printed

carlow

Thanks guys,

Having the pink layer on top with its transparency set to multiply, achieves exactly the effect i was after.

Re: Carlow - That's what i thought too, but i simply can't get it to export anything but a white background. Have you got any suggests why?

Re:eugenetyson - You're correct, i'm trying to get a pink background pdf. And same-here, I can't get 'simulate overprint' to work either.

Sorry, I only had a quick read of the original question so overlooked a part.

You can't include the paperswatch as a color

And I got confirmation today that you can't export the PDF with the Paper Colour intact, it's just for on screen proofing in Indesign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back