Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simulating an array in SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

csbdeady

Programmer
May 18, 2002
GB
Hi

In a script I'll be using in Query Analyser I want to simulate an array as SQL Server doesn't support them as such.

What I'd like is something like:

@MyArray = "a,b,c,d"

<do_some_processing_of>@MyArray = &quot;a&quot;
<do_some_more_processing to find the 2nd entry>@MyArray = &quot;b&quot;

etc

Hope that makes sense!

Any thoughts?

I can't use a temporary table to hold the array data for various reasons.

Ta
-Colin

It's unfortunate that you can't use a temp table because that is your answer. An array simultates a table. I think that's why T-SQL doesn't have an array - because you shouldn't need one since you can always create a table (except in your case)... -- Just trying to help...
[wolf]<--- This is a wolf? We need a new icon.......
mikewolf@tst-us.com

ok been doing some research;)

I can't use a temp table as am going to be testing on a database that I'm not allowed to write to (only read).

However I can create a datatype of table in SQL Server 2000 and use that to store my &quot;array&quot;.

I just tried:

DECLARE @SupplierContacts table
(
SupplierID int NOT NULL,
ContactNameTitle nvarchar(62) NULL,
Country nvarchar(15) NULL
)

However I got the message:

Server: Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'table'.

Anyone know why?

Ta!
-Colin

See the following link for a SQL Server UDF that will parse a character string and return a table. This is an excellent solution when you need to use and array.

Treat Yourself to Fn_Split()
This UDF lets you emulate VB's Split() function and parameter arrays.

Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains &quot;Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers&quot; to your questions.

tlbroadbent has some good links for this very question @ thread183-273839 -- Just trying to help...
[wolf]<--- This is a wolf? We need a new icon.......
mikewolf@tst-us.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back