Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulated Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenonR

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2003
AU
Does anyone know a simple way to set up a fake domain controller. My job involves pre-staging machines for installation at customer sites. These sites have domains running (Different sites and different domains). I need a way to configure the machines with user names and passwords for their domain without being connected to the domain.
I was hoping not to have to build a whole server each time as I can do just one machine or multiple machines.
Any help would be appreciated

I wanted to change the world but God won't give me the source code.

Wanna run this one by me again? Sorry, doesn't make sense to me. Are you building workstations or servers for this "fake domain." Either way, you attach them to domains on site, to be a true part of your clients' domains. No fake way around it.

Matt J.

Sorry. Im building workstations and want to configure them up to the domain before I take them onsight. I need to create the logins first as I am also installing some software that requires it to be setup under the login thats going to be used (Something to do with security and SQL Server) and I really wanted to configure the machines offsite and then just plug them in and go.

You cannot do that because every machine that you connect to their domain will genrate SID specifically/uniquely to that machine. Assuming you manage to create/install a fake domain and you connect it to their site. Their domain will check each SID of the new PC and if it will not be located then it will not allow to connect or grant access.

It's a security issue that's why you can't do it.

What you are doing is wrong. The users you are creating are local. You're then assigning rights to local users. This is not what the end users are going to be using. The end users will be using domain user accounts. Big difference. You're wasting your time adding these users. Install everything as administrator, take them on site, attach to the domain, then login as local administrator, and go to Users & Groups in Computer Management. In Groups, go to the Administrators group, change the Look In box to the Domain, and add the Domain User account(s) that will be using that computer. Install that software again if you have to.

Matt J.

Thanks guys. Didn't think there was a solution but thought I would try anyway. Just trying to cut down my time onsite. I was doing (and will continue to do) what you said, Matt.
Put it down to laziness I guess.

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back