Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simulate Disaster-Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadySlinger

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
US
Hi Everyone:

How often do you simulate a disaster recovery in your work place using Veritas.
We do have a Backup Server to use for the test run, but since it involves taking down our email server, we obviously can't do it during normal business hours. So since this involves a saturday I'm just curious as to how often you come in to operate a simulation.
I'm thinking once MAYBE twice a year, but if I'm being lazy let me know. Or perhaps there is a way to verify the data that was backed up? I receive the daily reports, but I don't know how much Veritas checks itself on the backups.

Thanks!
LS

What do you mean by Disaster Recovery? Is it the one where you have to reinstall everything from scratch or just a restore procedure? It depends on you disaster recovery plans, if you have one.

Once ot twice in six months is good enough. You do not have to take down your email server. What you can do is delete a mailbox, or a folder or anything and try to restore it, but be sure to have a copy of it somewhere so if your restore fails you can just pull it back.

There are also logfiles where you can see what data was backed up.

Hope this helps..

Really? I'll have to look into why my boss was saying that we had to take down the email server then.

Yes, D/R test would mean starting from scratch. I.e. if a natural disaster or fire destroyed most of the building and happen to destroy some servers. I think the Hurricane Katrina and Ophelia has gotten one of the top managers thinking and concerned about this.

Thanks!

We do have a Backup Server to use for the test run, but since it involves taking down our email server,"

Please clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back