Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simulate crontab functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlz

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2002
IL
Hi,
I am looking for a script that like cron daemon can read input file written in crontab format.
And run the jobs from the input file when needed.

Thanks in advance,
Vadim

Some reasons:
1. this script will be distributed on many servers.
We can update one input file and distribute it instead of updating crontabs.
2. we have many users with root access. Crontab entries can be removed by mistake.
3. Sometimes cron daemon has problem to start or hang.

I don't think that its a good idea to implement your own cron though it is tempting but i think you still can do the above with cron! you can have one cron common and copy this to other servers!

Mistake in crontab should not happen if you backup the cron before updating it! You can copy the cron to a file, update that file, then populate cron with the verified file!

cron daemon has problems! yes sometimes, but even with the script that you will make! it won't be much better than cron in hanging coz it would be simply a process after all!

Regards,
Khalid

Hi

If you just want a separate [tt]cron[/tt], then install one. Let those many root users to use their old [tt]cron[/tt] and for your tasks install [tt]fcron[/tt], [tt]mcron[/tt], [tt]anacron[/tt] or what is available for your system.

Feherke.

Thanks to all for suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back