Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simplified Technical English (PLEASE!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGustaXL

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
Hi there,

Item: Oil Pressure Sensor.
Purpose: "To annunciate Oil Overpressure Warning if oil pressure exceeds 3900kPa".

Can that be said more simply?

Chris

Someday I'll know what I'm donig...damn!

To sense oil pressure above 3900kPa?

I'm guessing something else actually does the notification.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Aha! Yes, you're spot on there! Brilliant! [thumbsup]

The function of the Oil Pressure Sensor is to sense (or measure) the oil pressure - hence its name [wink]

But you've hit the nail on the head - it's the sensing circuit that initiates/annunciates/provides/gives the actual warning.

OK, so what's the simplest way to say that the Sensing Circuit annunciates the OOW?

Chris

Someday I'll know what I'm donig...damn!

To activate the Oil Pressure Warning if the oil pressure exceeds 2900kPa.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

==> Can that be said more simply?
No, not really. You can change the wording but you're not really simplifying the message. Another option might be "To trigger the oil pressure warning when oil pressure exceeds 3900kPa."

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Also, I wouldn't capitalize "Oil Pressure Warning", and I would change 'if' to 'when'.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Annunciate"? WTH? How about "sound"?

Back when the Jazz were still in New Orleans, they were playing the Knicks at Madison Square Garden. The game clock went blank, and the PA announcer declared:
MSG announcer said:
Ladies and gentlemen, there has been a malfunction with the timing apparatus.
To which our radio play-by-play man declared:
Rod Hunley said:
Why doesn't he just say, "The clock's broke"?

Eschew obfuscation!!

-- Francis
In Deo nos confídimus.
Ceteris pariatur.

Gives a warning when pressure is greater than...

Implied:

Warns when pressure is becoming too high for safe continued use.

Could be a light on the dash...

The sensor is an intermediary between the apparatus under pressure and the method of warning that is picked up by operator's own sensory apparatus.

"Annunciate"? WTH? How about "sound"?

As it doesn't actually 'sound' both are incorrect.

It's a sender unit, creates a circuit (or reduces resistance) in an electrical current under certain conditions.

Your petrol tank sensor (sender) unit doesn't warn you your running on empty, that's what the thing attached to the end of the sender unit does, the light on the dash board for example.

as per flyboytim.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

Oil Pressure Sensor: Tells you something is wrong.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

To annunciate Oil Overpressure Warning if oil pressure exceeds 3900kPa.
In plain English, doesn't this mean:
Warns when oil pressures exceeds the atmospheric pressure of 3.9 million 17th-century French Mathematicians.
<grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back