Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple VOIP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danclark

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2001
NZ
Hi All, I am looking for a simple solution to our dilemma... we have lots of people around the place with DSL connections who would like to plug their analogue telephone into their PC/Linux Box and call out on the PSTN (would normally be a toll call) via a collegue at another site so as to save $$$. Basicly we are looking for open source voice over IP but with some kind of linux gateway so we can just plug a standard phone into it then get a dialtone ???

Regards
Dan Clark

Most likely what you will be looking for will be the Asterisk PBX software (asterisk.org). The basics are that the machine with asterisk and a card with an FXO port will be plugged into the phone line that you wish to use, and to the DSL connection so the calls can be forwarded over the net. In order to plug in a standard telephone to make calls, you will need an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter). This could either be a standalone adapter (box with an FXS port and an ethernet port) or an FXS card in a PC that is connected to the internet. For more information, see

I posted this 2 or 3 years ago lol, I've been using asterisk for a year or two now also.
Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back