Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple update form- it's confusing me! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilBelgium

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2001
BE
this is meant to be simple, but is confusing me. I've been through the manual, the Macromedia site and the SAMS book and still can't make ay sense of it.

I have a simple results page, called news.asp. The idea is for users to update their weekly news. The table this comes from contains only three fields - name, news, and date (when it was last updated)
there must be a SIMPLE way to update the news by simply selecting name from a drop-down menu. Do I really have to create a search page and go through several different stages to accomplish what should be a simple task.

i really need to work this through asap!

many thanks, neil

No need for several stages

Update page has 4 form objects and a recordset

recordset is

SELECT uniqueID, name FROM tblName

form obj 1

dropdown with the options being the values in the recordset

form obj 2

Text field for new "news" submission

form obj 3

hidden field assigned value Date() or Now()

form obj 4

Submitt button

then highlight whole form and in the server behaviours just update record with relevant form fields going into appropiate db fields Live long and make your kids suffer..

many thanks, I'll try it out!
Expect a panic message back some time soon!
neil

I'm getting a data mismatch problem. I assume it's the date.
The access db is set up with a short date format, and an input mask.
is this why the update won't work??
thanks, neil

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E07)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Data type mismatch in criteria expression.
/0301/news4.asp, line 89

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back