Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Text Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2004
GB
Hi,

I'm still relatively new to Perl, but have managed to put together some scripts for work.

The latest one I'm making is taking a CSV file of data, and creating an XML output.

One of the fields in in all UPPERCASE, and I need to reformat it to Upper Then Lower.

For example the data coming in is like:
LONDON GATWICK
BELFAST
SHETLANd ISLAND
PRAGUE

And I need output to be:
London Gatwick
Belfast
Shetland Island
Prague

I have tried various tr statements, and have nearly got a workable solution using an if (pattern match), but I'm still failing to get the UPPERCASE on the second word.

If someone could point me in the direction I need to go I would be really greatful, I'm pulling my hair out at the moment as this is the last step in the script.

Thanks in advance!
Anthony

Code:
@name=split(/ /, $name);
foreach (@name) {
  $_=ucfirst($_);
}
print join (" ", @name);

sub ucfirst {
  ($prop)=@_;
  @letters=split (//, $prop);
  foreach (@letters) {
    $_=lc($_);
  }
  $letters[0]=uc($letters[0]);
  return join ('', @letters);
}
Not tested, but should give you something to work on

Paul
------------------------------------
Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Code:
[url=http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/my.html][black][b]my[/b][/black][/url] [blue]@data[/blue] = [red]([/red]
	[red]'[/red][purple]LONDON GATWICK[/purple][red]'[/red],
	[red]'[/red][purple]BELFAST[/purple][red]'[/red],
	[red]'[/red][purple]SHETLANd ISLAND[/purple][red]'[/red],
	[red]'[/red][purple]PRAGUE[/purple][red]'[/red],
[red])[/red][red];[/red]

[olive][b]foreach[/b][/olive] [black][b]my[/b][/black] [blue]$string[/blue] [red]([/red][blue]@data[/blue][red])[/red] [red]{[/red]
	[blue]$string[/blue] =~ [red]s{[/red][purple]([purple][b]\S[/b][/purple]+)[/purple][red]}[/red][red]{[/red][purple][purple][b]\u[/b][/purple][purple][b]\L[/b][/purple][blue]$1[/blue][/purple][red]}[/red][red]g[/red][red];[/red]
	[url=http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/print.html][black][b]print[/b][/black][/url] [red]"[/red][purple][blue]$string[/blue][purple][b]\n[/b][/purple][/purple][red]"[/red][red];[/red]
[red]}[/red]

- Miller

PS,
Paul: ucfirst is a built in function.

Code:
$name =~ s/\b(\w)(\w+)/uc($1).lc($2)/eg;

The [tt]/b[/tt] matches a zero-width word boundary, including the beginning of the string.

The [tt]/e[/tt] modifer permits code in the substitution, so we can use the [tt]lc()[/tt] and [tt]uc()[/tt] functions with the . operator.

The [tt]/g[/tt] modifier runs the substitution multiple times.

This code also correctly handles input like St.Andrews.

Yours,

fish

["]As soon as we started programming, we found to our surprise that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had thought. Debugging had to be discovered. I can remember the exact instant when I realized that a large part of my life was going to be spent in finding mistakes in my own programs.["]
--Maurice Wilkes, 1949

Thanks very much guys, I will give them a go and see what works best for my situation.

Anthony

In the end I took millerH's suggestion, but all help is appreciated. This opened the door for me to make a few extra additional changes to the formatting of the data which has made me much happier with the output.

Once again, tek-tips shines its light on my darkest hour. Thank you!

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back