Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIMPLE TEXT HELP I THINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadms

Technical User
Mar 8, 2003
US
Is there a trick to make text NOT increase in size when a user selects VIEW -> TEXT SIZE -> small, medium, large in INTERNET EXPLORER?

This has been driving me crazy. If I select the SYSTEM font it works but nothing else.

Because I dont know what default they are using. And it tends to shift object on a web page. I have seen it done on a few sites but cant tell what they have done. I do know that if I use the SYSTEM font it works fine but I dont want to be limited to it.

DOESNT WORK EXAMPLE: go to in IE. Then selects VIEW -> TEXT SIZE -> Large

WORKS EXAMPLE: go to in IE. Then selects VIEW -> TEXT SIZE -> Large

dadms: the recent consensus amongst web developers is that the text-size adjustment is there for a good reason (chiefly accessibility - a legal requirement in many countries, including the US and UK).

The answer is to refine the site so that adjustments to the text size do not break the site design.

Eric Meyer's site (meyerweb) is a good example, as is A List Apart.

<marc>

yeah, there's a trick. a trick indeed.

design your entire site in photoshop, save the entire thing as a jpg or gif, and upload it to your server.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]a frickin' twelve-gauge, what do you think?[/tt]
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]
[banghead]

Basically, what you're saying is you want to prevent old geezers with bad eyesight to use your page. I hear you, I hear you man. Try googling for 'grandpa sniffer', a javascript that will load a special non-font-size-changing stylesheet if it detects grandpa behind the computer.

To answer the original questionb, yes you can sto the text from sizing.

If you use absolute values ("10px", "15px", etc) instead of relative values ("0.8em", "75%", etc) then IE will not scale the text.

However... It is generally considered bad practive for accessibility reasons, and most other browsers (Firefox, NN, Opera, etc) will scale the text - so why not just use scalable text in IE too? At least the page will behave similarly in all browsers, then.

Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]
[banghead]

Sometimes I almost feel guilty after a setup like that. [smile] But those were the responses that I didn't have time to write yesterday. Dan and Marc's comments in particular. Thanks.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back