Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple SQL Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlone

Programmer
May 20, 2001
US
How many records can mysql could hold up to? Unlimited? ----------------------------------------
There is no Knowledge, That is not power.

Yes, i'm a MySQL Newbie.
-Aaron
----------------------------------------

Up to 2GB

Hope this helps! -gerrygerry
misanthropist01@hotmail.com

Thanks, do you know any other database that holds more than 2GB? I'm guessing Oracle will. ----------------------------------------

Yes, i'm a MySQL Newbie.
-Aaron

I dont know of any others... I'm still a newby to the database game though :) -gerrygerry

I am looking at my Programming the Perl DBI book now (these are on LONG/BLOB datatypes, BTW):

ADO: Dependent on connected data source
CVS: Up to 4GB
DB2: Up to 2GB
Empress/EmpressNet: Up to 2GB
Informix: Up to 2GB
Ingres: Up to 2GB
InterBase: Up to 4GB
mySQL/mSQL: Up to 4GB (they hold 4GB, not 2GB)
ODBC: Dependent on connected data source
Oracle: Up to 4GB
PostgreSQL: Maxsize depends on file system.
SearchServer: Up to 2GB
Sybase (for sybase and MS SQL server): Up to 2GB
XBase: Up to 2GB

Thats it. I know most of that won't matter, but mySQL holds up to 4GB, not 2, and oracle does hold a lot. I dunno though, unless you are the most efficient coding god in the world, doing a query on a 2GB row would take quite some resources. :)

Hope this helps.

-Vic vic cherubini
krs-one@cnunited.com

Thank you. ----------------------------------------

Yes, i'm a MySQL Newbie.
-Aaron

Sorry if my information was wrong... i just read that yesterday while searching for info about MySQL! Now I've gotta track them down and correct them! Thanks for correcting me Vic. -gerrygerry

Roughly 4000 (technically 4096). Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

If mysql and Oracle holds upto 4 GB, then why is most people actually paying for the Oracle and MySQL is free? ----------------------------------------

Yes, i'm a MySQL Newbie.
-Aaron

That's a very good question! Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

I was wondering about that question for a long time. I know there's a licensed version of MySQL,which cost about $300 somthing which gives you tech support but just don't know the point of paying money for oracle when you can get the MySQL freeware for Free. ----------------------------------------

Yes, i'm a MySQL Newbie.
-Aaron

I have to add one minor correction here: MySQL's max table size is 4GB for x86 architectures. If you are running on a machine with 64 bit architecture, such as an Alpha server, or a Sun, etc... the theoretical limit is 8 Terabytes. See
Of course, by the time you have 8 Terabytes worth of data, you are going to want another DB besides MySQL :cool:.

Hehe. Good one rycamor.

One reason to use Oracle over mySQL would be speed. I know that Oracle is faster than mySQL because it wouldn't make it on the market if it were not.

Also, mySQL is somewhat of a 'web' database. For example, how many sites out there use an Oracle database over a mySQL one. Not many. And the ones that do have millions of dollars to spend on a database. Even sites that get huge amounts of traffic (slashdot, sourceforge, etc) use mySQL and/or Perl/PHP.

I think that for the most part, a free database, mySQL, will suit our needs over an $80,000 (minimun, thats Oracle9ai). :)

Hope this helps.

-Vic vic cherubini
krs-one@cnunited.com

Thanks, vic :) ----------------------------------------

Yes, i'm a MySQL Newbie.
-Aaron

Vic,

I'm not so sure that Oracle is intrinsically faster than MySQL, at least for simple SELECT operations. Speed is MySQL's main claim to fame, the second being simplicity. Not that I'm putting down Oracle at all. The fact is that speed isn't everything, and Oracle has all the enterprise features that MySQL lacks, such as full replication, transactions, foreign keys, etc... Each of these can slow a DB down a little bit, but provide that much more added stability.

My "off-the-cuff" guess, from seeing benchmarks, etc... is that on a single or dual-processor x86 machine, MySQL will be faster than Oracle for the simple stuff, but when you start scaling up to the big iron, or multiple servers, and using serious features such as transactions and replication, Oracle has the advantage. Which is exactly what it is intended for.

The real Oracle-killer might just be PostgreSQL, soon. See

One reason to choose Oracle over MySQL would be Oracle's transaction control. You can do some updates, inserts and deleted and then change your mind with the ROLLBACK command or make those changes visible to other users with the COMMIT command.

Another would be the abilty to handle very large databases with lots of concurrent users.

But as rycamor says: PostgreSQL is coming along fast... Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

MySQL doesn't have foreign keys? Don't tell the people who use them that!
Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Sorry, let me be more specific. It doesn't support foreign key constraints. Of course, I use relational keys all the time in MySQL, but they are not defined as relational (constrained) to the database, it's only the programming methods and queries I use to insert and read data that enforces those relationships.

See and
As mentioned in the second link, you can even use foreign key constructs in your table creation statements, but they are only stored as documentation in MySQL, to make it easier to transfer databases to and from other RDBMs that do use foreign key constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back