Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokazoit

Technical User
Sep 16, 2004
DK
I have a table with 100k+ rows. In one coloumn I have an indication of the period of the year (i.e. 200309 = sept. 2003) each period are represented several times.

I need to retrieve the quarters of each year so for that I use the coloumn with periods in a query. I then sum by totals and through a calcualtion I get the quarters. Here is the SQL view:

INSERT INTO Kvartal ( Periode, Kvartal )
SELECT Data.Periode, IIf(Right([Periode],2)<4,1,IIf(Right([Periode],2)>3 And Right([Periode],2)<7,2,IIf(Right([Periode],2)>6 And Right([Periode],2)<10,3,4))) AS Kvartal
FROM Data
GROUP BY Data.Periode, IIf(Right([Periode],2)<4,1,IIf(Right([Periode],2)>3 And Right([Periode],2)<7,2,IIf(Right([Periode],2)>6 And Right([Periode],2)<10,3,4)))
HAVING (((IIf(Right([Periode],2)<4,1,IIf(Right([Periode],2)>3 And Right([Periode],2)<7,2,IIf(Right([Periode],2)>6 And Right([Periode],2)<10,3,4))))<=[Choose quarter (ie 3):]));

Problem is that it's so damn slow since it has to retrieve all that data, create totals and then do the calculations. So it's not a wonder it's slow.

But is there an easier way to do this? I hope there is :p

In advance tx :)

Bokazoit

1) Why are you not using REAL DATES?

2) Calculate the quarter rather than nested iifs
[tt]
INT(RIGHT(([Periode]-1),2)/3)+1
[/tt]
[tt]
SELECT Data.Periode, INT(RIGHT(([Periode]-1),2)/3)+1 AS Kvartal

FROM Data

GROUP BY Data.Periode, INT(RIGHT(([Periode]-1),2)/3)+1

HAVING (Right([Periode],2)<=[Choose quarter (ie 3):]);
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] Researchers have found another Descartes trueism, "Cogito ergo spud."
"I think; therefore, I YAM!
[tongue][/sub]

You may try something like this:
SELECT DISTINCT Periode, 1 + (Right(Periode,2)-1) \ 3 AS Kvartal
FROM Data
WHERE 1 + (Right(Periode,2)-1) \ 3 <= [Choose quarter (ie 3):];

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Since the data isn't current. So I have added the periods myself.

I will try both suggestions tx and I return asap if it doesn't work :p

Tx very much. It's quiet faster now than before :) and both suggestions was equal in speed so I choose the first :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back