Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murugs

Technical User
Jun 24, 2002
US
I understand IP address..
But whats the main purpose of this subnet mask.
and why it is mostly 255.255.255.0
shall I not make it 12.12.13.0
sorry for the simple question

regards
MP

subnet mask shows which parts of the address are which network it is on, and which part is the address on that network

so if I am 192.168.1.113 and my gateway is 192.168.1.1 and my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

then I do not need a router to get to anywhere on the 192.168.1 network, but will need the router to get to 192.168.2.67

if I had the subnemask 255.255.0.0 I woud be saying I do not need a router to get to 192.168.2 (to 255) but I DO need a router to get to 192.192.192.192

Routers only go off your local network if the computer asks them to, so each computer needs to know how far it can go

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

thanks both of you guys for clarifying me on the simple question

regards
MP

The subnet mask is a number used to identify a subnetwork when an IP address is shared by multiple networks.
Subnetworks limits the number of nodes (clients, servers) that have to compete for available bandwidth to a confined geographic area.

You home address is a host address
your street is a subnet
Your zip code is a geographic area
City=area In example Class A,B,C.D
Street=subnet
House numder=host Ip address.
Routers deal with the mask portion in processing Packets. City to City etc.

All this coding improves performance and security.
Route once; switch many

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back