Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul38

Technical User
Sep 9, 2008
CY
Help!!
What the easiest way to get SMS client (the client that will allow audits , remote control etc.) onto 95/98 PC. Is it through logon scripts? If so how do I achieve this?

Do I simple map a network drive within the logon script to run an *.exe?

I'm new to SMS and any help would be appreciated
Paul38

Installation and use of SMS 2.0 should be planned carefully. Two resources that may be helpful are the Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Resource Guide (out of print) and the Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Administrator's Companion. Chapter 7 in the latter should help you out greatly.

One way to get SMS 2 installed on a desktop is through logon scripts by running smsls.bat. You'll want to consider whether every device should receive the SMS client.

snyderj, I appreciate books would be helpful but I haven’t got one yet and I want to start the SMS configuration ASAP.

Is a logon script the best way to install sms client on 95/98 PC or can you configure SMS to manually install clients from the server? is how?

again any help appreciated
Paul

As Mr. Dingle said, "D*** the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!"

You can install clients through smsls.bat (various flavors exist), pre-loading files through a simple copy, smsman.exe...

A lot of damage can be done installing SMS willy-nilly, affecting domain controllers and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back