Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSponge

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
GB
Sorry to post such a dull request,

I have a default website running on my server, (LAN)

I have set the default website to a directory on the server, E:\Intranet

the server name is Bridge, so when I type in
I can see my pages no problem.

so I then created a new website called test using the wizard and point that to E:\Files\test

so I naturally assumed, when I type in
it would work...

what am I doing wrong?

sorry for being thick,..thanks

A+,Network +

How are you differentiating the 2 sites? By name (using host headers), IP or port?

If by name, you'll need to add an A record for test pointing to the IP address of the IIS server (or alternately use your local hosts file for testing).

They are both using the same IP,

how do i add an A record?

A+,Network +

Since the server is named "bridge" it automatically has a local host record of "bridge" associated with localhost and 127.0.0.1

The local addressing is only available "locally" (same computer)

If this is an internal network only (for more than just the local computer), you will need to setup a DNS service for any names you want to use and have your users point to that service in their NIC configuration

If this is an externally accessible site (internet) then you need to register a domain and setup DNS that points to your server. Most registrars also supply basic DNS now.

If this is only to be accessed by your machine then (a) you need to adjust the local HOST file, and (b) you would access it as "test", not "test.bridge", unless you set both the header and HOST file to support "test.bridge" for that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back