Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Question, what is front end/backend? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

buee04

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm nearly finished with my first db, but I still don't know what the terms front end and back end mean. I know it's a dumb question but I haven't been able to find the answer from books or the web.

Could someone explain it to me and also use examples?

THANKS!!

<running jump into middle of thread!>
You can actually set up your security so that even if someone logs in using the default mdw, they have no access rights.
When you logon with out specifying an mdw file, you are actually using the standard system.mdw and logging on as admin.
If you set your file up so that anybody who logs in as admin on the standard mdw has no rights at all, then they cannot access anything. You can set this up for front end and back end and be totally secured.
I must point out: I've never actually done this myself, only read about it. One day I will try it out and report back, I promise!

One more thing: There is a file called Wrkgadm.exe (mines in c:\winnt\system32) that lets you join Access workgroups, basically set a default mdw. If all users join the same mdw file then it won't matter if they navigate to the file or use shortcuts.

Just my 2ps worth.

B

PS Neil Berryman kindly sent me a copy of his paper on Access security. He is floating around the forum somewhere, so you may want to ask him for a copy of it. His nick is nberryman. ----------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
Home: bpo@SickOfSpam.RobotParade.co.uk
Work: bo104@SickOfSpam.westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
(in case you've not worked it out get rid of Sick Of Spam to mail me!)
Web: ----------------------------------------

Hmm, that sounds complicated. This is actually my first db ever and I just started using Access this summer. Unfortunately, today's my last day so I don't think I'll be able to implement your idea.

Hehe, wrkgadm.exe is actually shortcutted on my desktop =) cuz i had alot of trouble with security when I first started using Access and I kept on getting locked out.

I'm sure I'll be doing some maintainence here and there, so I'll keep an eye out for your response! Thanks B!

Hey, don't forget.... Security is a policy and not a password. You can &quot;secure&quot; your database with many other methods other then the access security mickeymouse Wizard.

Consider this... how easy is it to get a free copy of XP, or any other software you want? Pretty easy. And they spend millions more dollars on their security then you or I could.

Hey, you're right. I'm actually just thinking about scrapping the security thing because I don't really know how to distribute the secured db...I'm thinking about creating 2 different db's, one for each level of user.

If you want complete security on your backend file then you need to work extra hours. Here is what I found in the ACCESS ONLINE ENCYCLOPEDIA (
Article Code: S4

Security of the backend tables ?
PROBLEM

If you activate the security system on the frontend all database objects are securized.
In a split application all tables from the backend file are linked into the frontend file. It is not possible to link tables from a securized backend file even if you use the same MDW file for backend and frontend.

SOLUTION

You have three possibilities to solve this problem:
Integration with DAO (Opendatabase) (A97 and A2K)
Integration with ADOX (Setpermissions)(only A2K)
Utilization of queries with &quot;OwnerAccess&quot; option

The first two solutions require that you transmit both username and password, therefore the third solution is the most secure.

Creation of a query with &quot;OwnerAccess&quot;

Create a new query
Activate the query property &quot;OwnerAccess&quot; in the query window
Save the query
This query can be used by all logged-in users.
If you use SQL strings in your VBA code then use the following structure:

SELECT Field1,Field2 FROM tableName WITH OWNERACCESS OPTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back