Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotNetGnat

Programmer
Mar 10, 2005
IN
Guys,

I am using oracle 10g and I have the following data in the two tables

table1

id | name

table2

id | name

the tables here are shown in the simplest format....I am trying to do a match on name on both these tables.. and I need above 3 records to show up as matches...in table 1 "TH" has been removed but I still need to match it with the record in table 2 with "TH"

any suggestions...

thanks

-DNG

DNG,

If you can list all of the "rules" you want to follow in producing matches, then we can come up with code to make them match. For example:
Rules said:
Remove all "TH", "ND", "RD", "ST" ordinal indicators that immediately follow numerals.
"AV", "AVE" = "Avenue"
"RD" = "Road"
"ST" and "STR" = "Street"
et cetera

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Thanks Dave,

As always your replies are wonderful...

i just this:

Remove all "TH", "ND", "RD", "ST" ordinal indicators that immediately follow numerals.

Thanks

-DNG

Dave,

I finally fixed it myself...as always thanks for your assistance...have a star...

-DNG

Geez, DNG, do I feel guilty...I thought that I had posted a coded response to your question. I see now that I didn't and that you created your own solution. You are the one that deserves the
star.gif
instead of me.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back