Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple peer - to - peer network issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernesth

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
US
Hello,
I have a simple network with 2 winxp machines and 2 devices (plc, printer) each connected to a common hub. All have a unique tcp/ip address and network id, and there is a common workgroup name for the two pc's. On the one machine (comp1) i can ping everything on the network and i can access the shared files on the second computer (comp2) in explorer. But, on comp2 I cannot see comp1 and I cannot even ping it (but I can ping the other devices).
I have tried to change settings (network id's, ip addresses, subnet mask, using/not using a gateway), but I still cannot get comp2 to see comp1 at all. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
ernest

yep, i thought that both machines had the default firewall disabled setting -- but, somewhere along the way it was enabled on comp1.

thanks!
ernest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back