Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple off-line testing of asp pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovie52

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
GB
how can i simply test asp pages on my pc / laptop at home without being connected to the internet?

IF you have IIS installed, you can easily do it.
Step 1. Put your asp pages in a folder in your Inetpub\ directory. (IIS manages asp pages in the inetpub)

Step 2: In your browser use this url For example, the name of my folder in my is MyApp
and the name of my asp page is default.asp; therefore I would use the url:
I hope this helps

IIS is only available in XP profesional (not home edition)

It is in the setup of 2000.
For win NT you need the win NT option pack (this comes with visual studio)
For both IIS versions I would recommend getting the security patch from the Microsoft web site (NIMDA virus can get into IIS without this patch.)

For win 98 it is on the setup cd (in the pws folder) it is called personal web server and there are some limitations on authorisation in win 98.

This relates to a general 'starting-up-with-.NET' problem I posed in this thread:
thread855-265989 ... namely that for IIS reasons (now lost to my memory in the mists of time!) -- involving shared servers not sharing a common path -- I am unable to use InetPub/
Does this pose a major problem in using/deploying .NET applications?

JimHH -- newbie to .NET / C# etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back