Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Newbie Forms Q? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schoover

Programmer
Sep 27, 2005
US
Can you write a simple query form to pull/display data, 1 row at a time, from a table that does not have a unique primary key?

I seem to have no trouble doing simple forms for other tables which have keys, and in my simple testing, can display records 1 at a time using the 'execute query' then 'next record....' buttons.

When I attempt to do this for a table without a primary key, my form comes up but throws a 40505 (frm) error when trying to execute the query. Mind you I have not actually written my own query but instead have just followed the wizards so far in my 'messing around'.

Thanks all.
Scott Hoover
schoover@umflint.edu

Yes, you can.

The error message you are encountering can occur for several reasons:
Cause:  Processing error encountered. The table associated with the current block of the form might not exist, or your username might not have authority to perform the specified action on the table.

Action:  Pressing [Display Error] provides more information, if it is available. You can also try to update or delete this record later. If necessary, contact your DBA

Can you log into SQL*Plus as the same user you are using in forms and select from that table?

Did you add any non-database items to the block and neglect to set the Database Item property to "No"?

Try the Display Error and see what it says.

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: Emu Products Plus

Thanks BJ, I had read about the display error thing, but on my first few test forms the menu would not drop down to select it...... I just threw together another test and I was able to display error this time.

The one thing I neglected to mention is that I was going after an external table. I figured it was worth a shot, since I see it as a normal table in sqlplus.

Little did I know of this little caveat...

ORA-02031: no ROWID for fixed tables or for external-organized tables

Thanks for your help, now I can send this stupid project back to the dba.

Or does anyone know of any other way I could display (on a form) the records from an external table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back