Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

simple middle name pull formula 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiley0q0

Technical User
Feb 27, 2001
US
hi, i'm sure this is pretty simple, but i'm a little rusty on my excel formula's
i have column that has first, middle and last name seperatede by comma's
i have managed to pull the first and last name out and put them into their own cell, but i am having a brain cramp of how to pull the middle name out.

ie.
Frank, Gunther, Burns

there is a space after each comma and i could take care of that with trim, but just don't know how to pull whats between the comma's.

Thanks,
Smiley

Hey Smiley,
If you string is in H9
Code:
=MID(H9,FIND(",",H9,1)+2,FIND(",",H9,FIND(",",H9,1)+2)-(FIND(",",H9,1)+2))
:)

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Skip,

In the original column select Data, Text to Columns and follwo the wizard, make sure you change the type to delimited and the specify the Comma and it will extract all 3 for you.

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

WOW, very quick response thank you to you both.

Skip, i used yours to start out with, because i'm familiar with that type of formula so thank you.

But Neil, never even heard of that before, i tried it out and it worked great, wish i had of know about that earlier. but now i do. thank you.

Thanks again
Smiley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back