Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Formula - Brains gone fuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasBrown

Technical User
Jan 15, 2004
ZA
Hello Guys,

I have a Coloumn with Rates in US$ and I need to show the price in Rands. so what I want to do is make a cell the exchange rate, then have a formula in a column. But when I drag the formula I cannot get the second half of the formula to stay constant on hte one cell.

Basically:
A B C
Column Number Dollar Rand

6.55 (This is the Current Exchange Rate)

4 2 =B4*A1
5 1 =B5*A1
6 4 =B6*A1

Now I highlight Fields C4,C5 and C6 and a drag it down to the bottom the A1 does not stay constant. Every 3 columns it increments by 3.

How can I drag it so the B4 continues to increment each line and the A1 remains constant.

Many Thanks
Thomas

Hi,

You must make the cell containing the exchange rate a ABSOLUTE REFERENCE.

In the forumla bar, select the A1, hit F4. F4 toggles the absolute reference symbols thru 4 formats.
[tt]
=B4*$A$1
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]A palindrome gone wrong?[/red]
A man, a plan, a ROOT canal...
PULLEMALL![tongue][/sub]

=B4*$A$1

for more info, look in the help files and search for "absolute"

Read the topic "About Cell & Range References"

Rgds, Geoff

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours but they all live in the same box.

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back