Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple E911 for Remote Branch Office VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortKnox

Technical User
May 10, 2004
US
I have a remote branch office with just 5 phones - NEC VOIP phones that are registered to the SV8100 at my main site.
Obviously, when these phones call 911, the wrong address is received by 911 responders.
I have been trying to get a SIP trunk built between the SV8100 and a Grandstream HT503 FXS/FXO gateway, but didn't have any luck. I can get the FXS side to register as a SIP extension, but cant get the FXO side registered, so I gave up on that.

So, here is what I have done so far that should work:
At the main site, I had 1 free port remaining on my CO card.
I got a Verizon T2000 analog device, and connected the line to the free CO port on the SV8100.
I verified that I can make calls out the Verizon analog device by dialing #9,028, I got dialtone, called my mobile, and indeed, the calls go out the Verizon device.

Why did I use the Verizon device?
Because my local carrier wont let me set the E911 address on a POTS line.
With the Verizon device, I can set the E911 to whatever I want.

The part I haven't done yet is figure out how to get those VOIP phones to route out port 28 when they call 911.
I assume I'll need to put trunk port 28 in its own trunk group and setup some routing - haven't done any of that before on the SV8100, but that's the plan.

I believe the easiest way is to place that trunk under a button on those phones and label it 911 emergency (or something appropriate). Instruct the users to make 911 calls on that trunk only.
Another option is to place that trunk in a separate route with a dial 8 access. For emergency dial 8 + 911.
Third option, and much more involved, is to set up ARS tables + ARS class of service. ARS = least cost routing. ARS is not for the novice in this system. Aside from placing 911 into it's own table, you need to allow for local and long distance calling with additional tables. Then you need to do similar programming for the phone that are local to the system.
I suggest you try to find a features and specs. manual and read up on ARS before attempting it, or bring in a trained/certified NEC tech.

I like your idea of a button for 911.
You're right about ARS - I have been messing with the simulator, think I have it, then it just flat out doesn't do what I expect it to do!

Can I do a speed dial button that does: #9,028,911 ?
This way, they dont even need to dial 911, the single press of a button would go straight to 911 out that trunk!

I forgot to mention...I have an issue with getting 911 out on that trunk.

If I dial, #9, 028, I can dial local and l/d just fine, but as soon as I dial 911 it jumps to port 23.
I don't know why it jumps like that.
How can I stop that from happening?

I suggest you read up on E911 in the features and specs. manual. It lists several conditions that may shed some light on your issue. I attempted to upload it, but got an error.

I wouldn't go down the track of a 911 button or any other option that doesn't allow the user to simply dial 911 or 9911 as you can not be certain the number will never be needed to be used by someone who does not know how you have set it up. There could be legal ramifications if people couldn't use it in the future!

As the feature reads in the F&S, E911 goes out regardless as long as dial tone exists. It will even disconnect a call to send it out if all trunks are busy.
E911 Compatibility ensures that emergency calls always get through. If an emergency occurs, a user
goes to any telephone, lifts the handset and dials 911. The system built-in E911 Compatibility places the
emergency call even if the user forgets to dial an access code or press a line key.
Emergency Routing
When an extension user dials 911, the system can automatically find a trunk for the call. The
system can choose a route to which the user normally does not have access. If all normal routes
are busy, the system can even disconnect an active call and place the emergency call. E911
Compatibility uses the flexibility of the Automatic Route Selection Call Route Options to route 911
emergency calls (even in systems in which ARS is not enabled).
Forced Disconnect Follows Timer to Disconnect Call
When all lines in the programmed route are busy and the system must drop a call to place a 911 call, the
system waits the time set in Program 81-01 before disconnecting the call.
By system default, all trunks in Program 14-05-01 Trunk Group are in group 1. When placing a 911 call,
the system tries to access the trunks defined in the group. If the trunks do not exist, the call does not dial
out. For E911 to function correctly, remove any uninstalled trunks from the trunk group.
This is straight from the F&S. There are additional conditions, too many to post here.

I got it all working.
I am routing 911 calls for specific set of VOIP extensions to go out the Verizon device.
I also remembered to configure the switch so that if the 911 dispatch center calls back, it will ring on all the voip phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back