Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple Data Recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadago

Programmer
Sep 16, 2005
US
Ok, I have your typical 20 Gig hard drive. Problem is, it "partially" crashed. By hooking it up as a slave drive on another PC, I'm able to get to certain files, but not all and there's one file I REALLY NEED. The PC THINKS it's corrupt, but I gotta believe that because I can see the file (and the name checks out fine) that there's a way to get it/fix it.
Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

All are appreciated,
Thanks!

Is it important enough to spend money to recover it? If you haven't tried to boot it on it's own before your attempt to bring it up in another PC you may not have killed any working copies that were in slack space.

You need a digital forensics professional with a write blocker and software like FTK or Paraben. It should be around $500 to $1000 to recover what's there. These software tools are to expensive for individual purchase and use.

Google search for digital forensic professional or computer forensic professional should find the major players in the business.

do a Google on FreeRecover. try it and see if you can get the file.

if that doesn't work you can download the trial version of FTK and try to recover it.

another option would be to try Knoppix to recover it.

Knoppix and FTK, as most other forensic tools, are Linux based so you may have to do some (ok a lot) of reading to get their full benefit.

but they are FREE

This is a field that my company specializes in. I wrote a FAQ on this topic . I do not sell my company's services here as that is not appropriate for this type of forum and my clients are typically from the legal community.

I have seen the results of highly skilled technicians trying to do a critical recovery on their own prior to sending it out, it makes the recovery harder, if not impossible for the professional company.

Note, if you want to use "free versions" of software be aware that not all functionality of tools like Paraben and FTK are available in their free versions. Compleatly read everything prior to using one. FTK (Forensic Tool Kit) does have a windows version.

To do this type of recovery, you must have another PC with a Write Blocker in between your HDD and the other computer bus or you will likely step on data in the process. If you download a tool to your PC, again you will likely step on the data in slack space.

The point I am making is that if you haven't done this before on a system that doesn't mean anything to you and this file is really important, use a professional.

If your file is not so critical, then yes try the free tools. You will gain experience and learn the limitations of the software.

Just another old goat

Tghare and eyec thank you both for your responses. I'm actually trying to help out a friend, and this is the file that was most important to them. It's one of those files that everyone wants back SO bad, but the thought of spending upwards of $1000 is just too much to swallow. Thanks again.

as a last resort you could try your local college to see if they have an instructor or class member schooled in data recovery that would be willing to help you.

Your problem seems like a logical error on the drive, or at the very least, it isn't a broken head or anything like that. This is good.
Most data recovery places will be able to recover a logical error without too much difficulty, so try a cheaper place like - way less than a grand.

Hi,

I was wondering how to recover data to my Hard Drive. It is grinding, Has my drive completly gone? Have I lost all my data?

I have done a online search, but I'm useless at this sort of thing.

Can anyone recommend a recovery company? Will they also repair my drive?

Thanks

Hi Taras,

I had the same problem, you can either - rectify the problem yourself by maybe cloning the data to another drive or contact a data recovery company.

I used Data Recovery Direct
there are many recovery companys out there, i choose this one because they came highly recommended, they have been in business for over 10 years and they have more than one service.

I hope you recover your data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back