Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple command line question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorruptedLogic

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2001
We are running SQLBase Server 6.1.2-PTF11 on an NT 4.0 Server (i know...it needs upgrading!). I found out yesterday that our previous system admin setup the backup system to try to backup the sql database without stopping the server first. Needless to say, not much success!
Question is, how do i stop the server from a command line? The server doen NOT run as a service, so net stop sqlbserver does not work. I need to stop it (i think!) by using the executable dbntsrvr (+switch) at the command line. My problem is that i cannot find what switch i need to use.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS..no one here knows SQL, i'm now considered our "expert"..and i know just enough to know that i don't have a clue!

so when I understand your problem correct, the backup-process copys only the DBS and LOG-files to the tape, right?
if this is try you will got a problem if you have to go back to your backup-version ;-)

why you don´t schedule a separat backup process to your database?
execute the following sql-statement in SQLTalk:

To create the Backup:
set server *servername*;
Backup snapshot from *databasename* to c:\backup\databasenamefolder;

now you can use your normal backup-tool to backup the database-snapshot to your backup-tape.
In this case it is very easy to restore

To restore it:
set server *servername*;
restore snapshot from c:\backup\databasenamefolder to *databasename*;
rollforward *databasename* to end;
rollforward *databasename* end;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back