Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple cmos battery change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timfoxcroft

Instructor
Feb 24, 2001
GB
Hello all

I have replaced the cmos battery in my Compaq Armada 1750 laptop. All was straight forward enough until it boots up. The usual Windows splash screen appears only it is very small in the middle of the screen and I can't find a way to restore it to the original full screen size. The machine appears to be running in graphics mode 12 (640x480) until windows takes over and then it uses the full screen. Have been in the bios (F10) but can't find anything there to cause this.

Any ideas?

It sounds like a BIOS problem. In replacing the battery you have cleared the settings to the manufacturers default settings. Whose BIOS is it? You may be able to go their web site and see the effect of their settings/configurations. It may be something simple like entering SVGA instead of VGA.

werdnaf

Thanks for reply. As far as I know the bios is Compaqs own. The set up screen when you enter it is different from the usual thing you find i.e it's like a windows 3.1 window. I can't find any where to change this setting. Compaqs support pages don't list any info to correct this.

I see. Then your only hope is by posting your problem with Compaq technical dept or surf the net for an alternative way into the BIOS. It strikes me that Compaq technicians must have better access to the BIOS than you so there must be a back door. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back