Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simple 2600 to 2600 route

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenover

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2001
US
I'll make this as simple as possible....
I have 2 Cisco 2600's, one at point A and one at point B. The need to talk to each other and allow access to the respective networks behind them. I think I have everything setup correctly. There is a T1 connecting them. Both say Ethernet and Serial connections and protocols are up. At point A, I can ONLY ping point A's Ethernet IP, CANNOT ping point A's Serial!! From point B I cna ping point Bs Ethernet and Serial IP addresses AS WELL as point As Serial IP, but not point A's ethernet IP!!!! What am I doing wrong?? I need help ASAP. Thanks in advance

Hello, hard to say without knowing your configuration
from the two Routers.

If you decide to post the configuration's please make sure you remove passwords / usernames , descriptions , telephone numbers, etc.

cbum

being it is a point-to-point I would set the encapsulation to PPP make router A serial ip 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252
and router B 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.252

The Lan lets say 10.1.1.1 255.0.0.0

lets set up EIGRP 100 and add networks 192.168.1.0 and 10.0.0.0 Do this on both routers

Router A
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2
Router B
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

This is just an example and your ip's can differ.
Keep in mind that your subnet mask on the ethernets have
to match, other wise you will knocking but no-one will let
you in.
Let us know how it pans out !!! J.Fisher CCNA
Jeter@LasVegas.com

Thanks Jeter, that is some very helpful advice. One question though...."Make sure the ethernet subnets match"? You mean the ethernet subnets on the different networks on each side of the routers? They don't match. I want our 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 network to route traffic to/from our 192.168.4.0/255.255.255.0 network on the other side. You're saying this won't work?

If I run an "show ip int brief", it shows both interfaces as up and up, BUT, the serial interface, which is the one I can't ping shows as "manual" under METHOD. Would this be my problem? and id so, how can I change it to "NVRAM" like the interfaces that do work??

Hello.

The problem is not with the method.
NVRAM means that the initial configuration
for that interface came from NVRAM.

This is a sample config I would try.

First I would change Serial interface to "encapsulation HDLC" on both Cisco Routers. HDLC is less complex to setup
then PPP.

If the Serial interface are really up and working
between the two Routers then the configuration below should work. "Show int serial ?" on both sides to make
sure that the Serial interfaces are UP and UP.
You dont need IP address on the Ethernet to test the serial link between the two routers.
Make sure you have a backup copy of your current configuration before you make any changes.
You will need access to the Router Console's, if you are telneting to the Routers then DO NOT remove the
ip address's from the Ethernet interfaces.

From the Console of Router A , you should be able to ping
the 1.1.1.2 address.

From the Console of Router B, you should be able to ping
the 1.1.1.1 address.

Router A)
int e0
no ip address

int s0
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

Router B)
int e0
no ip address