Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Simpana 8 Licenses for Exchange 2010 - What to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rintintinuk

Technical User
May 1, 2008
EU
Could any one shed some light on which Simpana licenses I need to buy to backup our new Exchange 2010 environment.

We are migrating from Novell Groupwise to Exchange so have limited Exchange experience but have extensive Simpana experience.

Our setup will be as follows:

2 Client access and Hub transport combined servers.
2 Mailbox servers in a DAG.

Books online is unclear and have spoken to Commvault who have suggested:

CC-GRT-PK
Enable CommCell Offline Mining to supportGranular Recovery of Exchange, Sharepoint and AD database copies, includes all components for installation.
x1

&

DA-W-EXDM-1
1 iDataAgent for Exchange MB/DB/PF/WF, includes DCE - Tier 1.
x4

From what I can see in books online, CC-GRT-PK offline minning tool is not supported in Excange 2010!! Plus could we get away with 2 Exchange iDataAgents for the mailbox servers and backup the CAS/HUB servers with normal Windows iDataAgents?

Any help much appreciated.

cas and hub is definitely just a normal file agent. Its questionable if you would even care enough to back them up, especially if you are running 2 for HA. I assume you are as small environments run these roles on a single box.

Not really sure around the mailbox with DAG as it depends if CV sees the DAG as a single MB or separate. I suspect the later. Which would be 1 database agent per DAG member + 1 file agent per member for common services.

Probably want to consider with mailbox sizes growing dramatically you may want to look at investing in some sort of hardware backups for exchange as a couple of minutes to do backups and restores vs hours/days is a big factor these days.

Thanks for these guys, really helpfule - have ordered 2 Exchange Server iDataAgents for the 2 mailbox servers in the DAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back