Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Silverlight won't install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ham

Technical User
Feb 23, 2000
US
I'm trying to install MS Silverlight and when the install program starts, it says I'm installing some handy digital dialer. My daughter can put Slverlight on her laptop with no problem. Any ideas?

Thanks. -- Ham

An install window opens - the text in the frame is:

'Setup - Free Download Manager for MyPhone Book Dialer'

The window text is:
'Installing Free Download Manager 2.1 (Free Downloads
Center edition) to accelerate MyPhone Book Dialer download.

MyPhone Book Dialer will be downloaded and installed right after Free Download Manager installation is finished.

Click Next to continue, or Cancel to exit Setup.'

It's like someone is grabbing my download request and re-directing it. We have downloaded Silverlight on 2 other computers with no problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. -- Ham

Where did you get the Silverlight download? I suggest you dump that download, run your AV and malware program, and then download Silverlight from the Microsoft website.

--
JP

That usually happens when an install of a previous piece of software has gotten scrambled, any following installs will not finish successful at all...

download:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

then run it and remove the above mentioned Dialer, reboot and then try to install the Silverlight addon...

you may have to clean a few more, but different installs, before you are successful, but delete only those that the install process tells you is messing up...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Make sure you have your application CDs handy. That CleanUp Utility is not something to be done without preparation.
The webpage even says:

Warning
The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is provided "as is" to help resolve installation problems for programs that use Microsoft Windows Installer. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised. We recommend that you do not use this utility with 2007 Office system products.

--
JP

Well, I was hoping I could reply and thank everyone profusely and say everything is rosy. Unfortunately...

Apparently some Free Download Manager has gotten hold of my computer and thinks I would much rather download some of their software than what I was really looking for. Not only have I had trouble with Silverlight, but I also cannot download the latest Adobe reader software or a new driver for my scanner. It makes no difference if I execute the installer from the net or download the exe file and then run it. When I cancel the install I wind up connected to freedownloadscenter.com. I've sent them notes, but of course that's like whispering in the wind. I can't find anything in the installed program list that looks like it might be the culprit.

I surely would appreciate any help. Thanks. -- Ham

Download from a clean computer, e.g. daughters laptop, the following from TrendMicro:

HiJackThis,
transfer it to your PC, via ThumbDrive (USB Stick), CD or similar, place it on the DESKTOP, then run it and do a scan with log, copy that log and paste it here for our perusal...

after, I or someone else have taken a look at the log, we will tell you then what to do and how to do it...

so do nothing with HiJackThis until we can advice you to, ok...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Can you use System Restore to return to a point in time before all this mess started occurring?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back