Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIIG Ultra ATA PCI 133 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
I've just installed an additional controller card (Silicon Image SiL 0680 ATA/133 Controller) so that I could install an extra CD-RW. What's happening is when I reboot my PC, POST goes through as it should but then the BIOS for this controller card initiates (locates the devices on this card...my one burner, for example) and then I receive the following message:

Sil 0680 ATA/133 Controller BIOS Ver.3.0.93
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

F1 allows XP Home Ed. to continue to boot up & F2 takes me into my regular setup utility. Is this normal? Before I never had to press anything during POST...XP Home Ed booted up on its own after POST. I've been to but haven't been able to find anything. My PC is a Dell Dimension 4300S...been to their site to but found nothing.

maybe the pci adapter is loading a bios, thinking there is a boot device hooked up to it,which is confusing the system bios. If there is a way to disable the bios on the card try that. The bios on the adapter card only has to load if there is a boot drive present on it. Could also have an irq conflict with bios. try moving card to another slot.

i had one of those cards in my old system.
i used to get the press f2 message which took me into the card bios but not the f1 message.

i am running xp pro though

how did you go installing the card in xp?

i had to make a floppy disk to install the drivers when installing xp

i tried the existing install option in the manual but it failed dismally.

after fresh install etc no worries at all the card worked perfectly

cheers,

Stu

Does the computer lock up, or just take longer to boot? Do you have the proper drivers for XP? I just replaced my SIIG ATA66 ULTRA because SIIG doesn't make an upgrade to work with WindowsXP. They listed one, but after errors tech support said it doesn't work on my SIIG bios.

Stu:

I had the card installed but had to wipe my HDD clean and start from scratch (Reason: Everytime I tried to access My Computer, the OS would freeze and I'd have to reboot. I traced the problem TO the drivers for the SIIG card). Like yourself, I had no success with the installation instructions in the manual so I bummed the drivers from a friend and got things working again (the CD-RW that's attached to it now works and doesn't lock up the system when I'm trying to acces My Computer) but now it's this blasted BIOS issue. I don't want to have to press F1 to continue to get XP Home to boot.

How long does the "F2" screen stay up? On my XP Pro it stays for about 5 seconds before it continues on. (Silicon Industries card)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back