Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

signs of a bad video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suffocate83

Technical User
Sep 21, 2002
US
can anyone tell me what the signs of a bad video card are?? Dave Williams
Network Administration Student
productofeuphio@netscape.net

Most video card issues are with drivers or with bad video RAM. Most GPF's (Blue screens are cause by video drivers/cards) Aside from the obvious symptoms you see, like Flickering, when you scroll you see shadowing, or other plain video problems, video problems are hard to track down. You can play swap the video card to see if it fixes you issue, reinstall drivers.

i've been getting stop errors (BSOD) when i try using graphic intensive programs (such as games or even as small as installing something or booting up) i posted this question, then remembered i had an older card that works. put it in and it ran no problem. no forced reboots yet.

btw, the blue screen mentioned ntfs.sys.

at least if it is the card, i have a reason to go buy a GeForce 4 Ti! Dave Williams

Get out the wallet and enjoy that new GeForce!

If the older card works under the same/similar situations, then chances are the card has gone bye-bye. You could also try seeing if there are any new or updated drivers available, remove the card from the system, and reinstall the card.

i'm not really sure if it is video card anymore. it seems that when i turn the computer on from it being off all night, it takes a few times to reboot. it will get to the windows 2000 ius loading and then the preparing network connections and the little messages right before the login, and bam, stop message pertaining to ntfs.sys.

Dave Williams

i've been thinking it's the drivers. the newest drivers are from dec 02. i recently replaced the power supply and reinstalled windows. i also installed the newest nvidia drivers which i think are causing these problems because the problems have not occured before. Dave Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back