Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

signon security 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredk

Technical User
Jul 26, 2001
US
I have a database that I created and have maintained for about a year - I want to secure the database but have been unsucessful with the security wizard.

My database is on a shared drive - I have heard people speak of setting up their own security but I am not sure how to proceed. (i.e. where do I get the users logins?)

Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks!!!

Wow, that is good information. Jflachman, you note that if you just want to identify a user have them select their name form a combo box - How would you set that up and check to see who is logged in? Also, could you determine who enters a record based on this?

In my situation, I have the database in a secured folder on the network server. While it may be important to allow only certain rights to each user (at which point I will have to set up access security) For now, I would like to impliment tracking. But I am not sure of the scope that I can do this. Can you elaborate on how I would track users int he database?

While this may not be the best answer, currently I have each individuals own file in the same folder, I can simply go into windows explorer to see who is logged in. I know that is not the best way to handle things. Also, I understand that it may improve the performance if I move everyones file to their own drive. But thats another thread!

Thanks to all who have provided their insight!

Fred

This implementation is easy. Set up a table with the following fields:
Code:
User ID (Number or Autonumber, required 
    and must be unique)
User Name  (Text)
Connected (Yes/No)

When the user connects, open a small form with an unbound combo box that uses this table as its source. The linked field in the combo box is the User ID The user selects their name and clicks on a "Done" or "Log-in" button.

There are a couple of opens for the functionality of the "Done" button.

1) The Done button can hide the login form. When you need to access the User ID for insertion into a table/form for tracking changes, just reference the hidden form. If you want to be able to tell who is logged into the system, you should also have the Done button access the Users table, find the record for the current user and set the Connected field to True. In the OnClose event for the hidden form, set the Connected field to False.

2) This method is slightly more work, but I think a more elegant solution. Create a module with a private variable UserID, and Set_UserID (Integer) Sub and Get_UserID Function. In the Done button on your form, call the Set_UserID function with the user id. Whenever you need the user ID, just call the Get_UserID function. In a multiuser environment, these variables will be unique for each instance of the application, so you dont need to worry about that. You'll still need to set the Connected field to True in the Done button event and figure out what event to use to set it to False when the user is closing the application.

Let me know if this is helpful

Jonathan

Jonathan, that is exactly what I need - Thanks for the help, I am going to get right on this one.

Thanks again!!

Fred

Hey New9 could i please have a copy of that Zip file , i am trying to something similar with passwords and autorities , and i would be usefull to see how you did it .

Thanks

My E-mail Address is
wenyonk@msn.com

Hello Hey New9 can you send me a copy also, or why not just post the code on this form

Thanks

Hi wenyonk & Gator9 :
I sent a copy of the zipped file to your e-mails.
Good luck

Hey new9:
This all sounds very helpful, could I also get a copy?
Thanks,
Bill

bill.gadsby@co.bell.tx.us

Higadsbywc;
I sent a copy of the zipped file to your email.

Hi New9
Could I also trouble you for the file as the security issue is a bit of a black hole for me also.
Many thanks

adolfop@telstra.com

Hi New9
I was just about to do the same myself, so the zip would be really useful.
Thanks in advance

Tom
tommoranbtclick.com

Hi adolfop,
I sent a copy of the zipped file to your email (adolfop@telstra.com).I hope it will help.

Hi OldTom,
I need your email to send the file.

PS: I tried to send the file to OldTom@tommoranbtclick.com
but it did not go through :~/

Hey new9, bet you cant guess what I am going to say.. lol. Yes, would it be possible to get a copy of that zip as well? I have done similar routines and would like to see what your approach was. Always interested in finding easier or new ways of doing things.

Greatly apprecieated!

steve
sjellertson@hotmail.com

Hi steve;
I sent a copy of the zipped file to your email
sjellertson@hotmail.com. If it possible,please, send me a copy of what you did (sample copy) to sea your approuch.

Thanks

new9
prag8@yahoo.com

New9,

I have created my own user logins and verification schemes for the databases I use but I would like to compare against a more experienced programmers piece. Just to see what I can learn. jwizard@cham-cor.com

I created my database code after only 2 weeks of VBA and Access experience, so I'm sure I have plenty of loopholes. [lol] Jay [infinity]
"If the words up and down were reversed, would you trip and fall or trip and fly?"

If anyone is interested, there is a file called password.zip on my website which is a bare bones password checking system that I use all the time.

B ----------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
----------------------------------------

hi new9, can i have copy?
my email address :
nikola@balkanjobs.net

thanks Fule

Hey Freid's,,,

Let's Have One Copy Of That BigJob and i prefere to post that file in this site to avoid headache.

Saam001@yahoo.com

Thanks Alot

Wow!! This is a wacky thread. People, use Access security. It does everything mentioned here and does it in a standardized way. If you run into problems, you will have other people who can answer your questions. It's quite powerful, and no home-spun security method I've seen is as functional and (once you invest a bit of time to learn how to use it) easy to use.

The only document you need to read is the MS Access Security faq. It's on their site, and I've got a copy of it in the developers' section of my site.

Building your own security system will eat up your time and you will find yourself tweaking it every time you make a new database. Access's security is FAR from bulletproof, but it is far more secure than anything I've seen anyone build on their own.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back