Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SignIn Form Timing Out and requiring re-signing In for No Reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandkathy

Technical User
Jan 13, 2005
US
HELP! I have a database that three different people use, 2 of the people have it open most of the day.

In order to get into the form, I have them go through a Sign-In form I've created. Which enables me to keep track of who's in the database and who made waht entries.

Now, for no reason whatsoever, it's started popping the sign-in form up 3 or 4 times a day, and requiring the users to re-sign-in. I don't have any timers in the database or on the form, so I'm having a problem figuring out why this does this.

Any ideas at all would be appreciated.

Double check your login procedure, code, and events. Something must be triggering the event. I don't think that any network connection refreshing issues would trigger a button click event. Are you sure that your users aren't triggering it themselves? Maybe hitting the space-bar when the button has the focus or something? What event is the login form being triggered from? Notify your users to write down what they were doing right before it happens.

You might consider modifying your login code to record some details right before the event is triggered. For example, time, username, machine name, or whatever might be useful in determining how or where the event was triggered.

Mike Dorthick

Grandkathy

Are you loosing the network connection? If the connection is dropping, the login process is required to re-authenticate.

One trick I have heard to work-around this issue is to use the openning menu to open to a record. By keeping the record set open, the connection is preserved.

Richard

Thanks, I'm not loosing network connections, I have a dozen databases and this is the only one that this form does this in. I use the same log-in process in all of my databases, and I've imported the form into all of my databases.

I'm one of the users that it's doing this too as well, there is no button that would cause this. After they enter their name and password, if the password matches, this form is hidden. MS Access Startup is what triggers this form to open.

I will try adding some code to tell me when and where it opens again. Maybe that will give me a clue.

I've checked through every line of code attached to this form, and compared it with one of the other databases. They are identical????? I've also had someone looking with me to ensure that I've not just skipping over something.

Instead of / in addition to checking code, try to see if the problem happens on the same or different PC's. For example, you and your PC is one of the ones having a problem. Copy your database frontend to another PC and run it from the other PC.

If the problem is within Access, the problem will re-occurr. If it is hardware or the OS, you may or may not get the problem.

Oh yea, past experience...
Some users were loosing access to network resources -- only affected some applications. Traced this to the PC's hiberbnating / drives spinning down, etc. Turned off power save options on the PC and problems went away.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back