Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sign function

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivasuzi

Programmer
Jun 14, 2002
Does anyone know what you have to include in order to use the sign() function? I know it's a function b/c a teacher gave me code that uses it, he just forgot to tell us what to include. [hourglass] time is ticking, please tell me soon! Thanx :) *Suzanne*

In VC++ go under 'help->index' menu and type in 'sign' - find the relevant function and it'll tell you which headers are required.
I would do it for you but I don't have it on this particular PC I'm using right now.
tellis.gif

[sup]programmer (prog'ram'er), n A hot-headed, anorak wearing, pimple-faced computer geek.[/sup]​

I had a look and the only sign() functions I could find are for visual basic and visual fox pro. I'll have a look on the internet for you.
tellis.gif

[sup]programmer (prog'ram'er), n A hot-headed, anorak wearing, pimple-faced computer geek.[/sup]​

Hi ,
I'm having the same problem ...

functions like abs() work ...
only not sign() ??

this is my include :
#include <Math.h>

this is the implementation :
(*out2++) = (*in2++) * abs(Sign(fTreshold - *in2));

this is the error :
error C2065: 'Sign' : undeclared identifier

?? h e l p ??

Staccato, your problem is that you are using &quot;sign&quot; not &quot;sin&quot;.

Use sin().

PS- &quot;sine&quot; is a homonym of &quot;sign&quot;. Are you wanting to use the sine and cosine functions Suzi?

sin = sinus
sign = signus

signus returns -1 on a negative value ,
0 on a 0,
and 1 one a positive value

__

the documentation says it's a Math member , like sin
but I can use sin , not sign

??

For the life of me, I can't find the function you're looking for. All I can seem to determine is that it doesn't seem to be in math.h.

I see. I wonder if it's a .NET addition. Are you using VC++ 6?

const int sign( const int x )
{
if ( x > 0 )
return 1;
else if ( x < 0 )
return -1;
else return 0;
}

I suppose you could just use this in the meantime.

I remember trying to find this [tt]sign()[/tt] a while ago.

a more efficient way would be to:

[tt]bool sign(const int i)
{
return (i==abs(i));
}[/tt]
tellis.gif

Stylish, but the function is supposed to have 3 return values for positive, negative, and zero.

serves me right for not reading the link!! :)

[tt]int sign(const int i)
{
return ((i==0)?0:(int)(i==abs(i))?1:-1);
}[/tt]
tellis.gif

how the heck does this work? never seen code like this before?

return ((i==0)?0:(int)(i==abs(i))?1:-1);

(if true) ? do this : otherwise do that ;

actually, I misunderstood the whole sign() function thingy through my own laziness of reading the posts - armed with the knowledge of the three return values it should be:

[tt]return ((i==0)?0:(i>0)?1:-1);[/tt]
tellis.gif

Kewl , thanx!!

the only problem is that it's a sound processing module , so normally it gets processed thru an algorithm.
I think this has the advantage of being much faster than a if/else structure

or am I wrong here ??

I formulated the signus function as follows :

x = x * ( 1 / abs( x ) )

and it seems to handle it correctly , although at a value 0 , isn't there an attempt to divide by zero ??
but maybe it's catched ??

> much faster than a if/else structure

no, multiplying/dividing is 100 times slower as if/else for integers and 1000 times for floats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back