Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniffin

Technical User
Sep 3, 2003
IT
Hello I have reasonably complex question to ask you...we are recently changing our server(with windows NT 4 server) and after transfering all the data and files that we need we have encountered problems transfering all the user groups, users, pc's on the net ecc. I have tried turning the new server on to see what happens, and as in the past to transfer data from one to another, we had both servers on (the new one being put in second place(back-up)) it seemed that it had automatically copied all the configurations, but as a stand-alone server we have to manually insert all the user groups and users etc...is there a way of transfering the necessary information from the old server to the new one???( they both use the same versions of windows and both have exactly the same network/lan configurations). Another problem that I have noticed is that( in our office we have 2 pc's running on Windows NT 4 workstation, 1 on windows 2000 professional and 1 on windows XP)(, the others use windows 98 second edition and windows ME.) the problem is that the windows 98 and ME don't seem to have problems getting in the network with the new server, the others though seem to create problems in the SIDs of the new server and those which run on windows NT 4 workstation don't want to get in at all! can you please help me out with this problem? hope to have your help soon thankyou from Saverio

if I understood you right : you are copying the data from A to B , and after the copy , the user and groups rights are lost ...

read some about robocopy.exe it copies stuff with old perms .

if I didn't understand you well , sorry , try to explain it to me better .

regards ,

Alex,
MCP 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back