Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick99 erased my calendar before January 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipw2

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
US
I am using Sidekick99 under windows 2000. 18 months ago my calendar disappeared. Not the entire calendar just all my appointments for the previous year. (I only realized this when I was trying to write my accomplishments of the last year memo for my boss.) Now it happened again. I went to find the name of a doctor I had seen last summer and when I got past Jan 2003, the only thing I saw were recurring events. My own appointments had vanished. Multidate events were also gone.

I haven't sync'd or backed up the Xxxxeven.skw file in several days. The last backup XXXeven.skw I have is 98K in size and dates to June 16. The current XXXXeven.skw is 100K.

Frankly I cannot remember when was the last time I went back to the 2002 dates to check on something.

Is it just hidden somewhere and I triggered some switch to make it disappear from sight? Any chance of recover?
(I have a printout of the monthly calendars--I started after the last wipeout--but having my calendar vanish every 18 months does not make it reliable.

I found a old copy of my XXXXeven.skw file dating to Mid dec 2002. It is 240 K in size. So I presume somehow sidekick just truncated itself.

1. How can I prevent this truncation in the future?
2. How do I merge the two XXXeven.skw files?

how did u finally find the files?? a similar thing happened to me...i tried saving the calander and when i go to re-open it the appointments are all lost although the re-occuring events and such are still there ....any suggestions?

I had been backing up the directory. But ultimately I didn't use the backup since I never found out how to merge the two files.

Now I print out every month and deal with it that way.

This is a terrible flaw in an otherwise nice product. But I cannot switch. My Rex PDA uses this product. and I love my Rex.

Dear philipw2,
There does not appear to be a merge calendar action in Sidekick99 (another reason for me to rate it less than SK98).
I have not had a problem with the calendar loosing dates and I am surprised to hear that it did happen.
I know with my Franklin Bookman (handheld)that there is a menu item to trim my calendar and I also know that Franklin produced the Rex, it might be of interest to try tices web page
as he is the Most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to the Rex, it may not be Sidekick99 at all!
Please let me/us know how you get on, as it improves our problem-solving skills when a discovery is made.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Dear philipw2,
The problem with Sidekick99 is that the file format of the Sidekick99 Calendar is not the same as the file format of the Sidekick98 and Internet Sidekick calendars which are similar to each other.
Internet Sidekick is the only version of those 2 that can synchronise 2(or more) calendars(i.e.Add all events together into the one Calendar without duplicating any entries/appointments/calls etc.).
There can be a problem which arises during synchronisation, if there are any .tmp or .bak files in the same directory as the Calendars that you are synchronising.
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back