Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick Plus (DOS) data to Windows 2000 software

Status
Not open for further replies.

VidJ

MIS
Aug 4, 2003
CA
I started using Sidekick Plus in the '80's. When we switched from DOS to Windows 3.1 then to W95 & 98 I could still use it - ALONG WITH THOSE MANY YEARS OF PHONE #'S. Now we've switched to Windows 2000 and SK+ no longer works. When we switched to W95 I bought Sidekick for Windows V2. But even that wdn't let me use my SK+ files (phone.adr & personal.app).
PLEASE - how can I convert my SK+ files or otherwise have access to them? And, of course, add to them?
Thanks,
VidJ

Dear VidJ,
See

faq807-2966
and especially
Q11 Converting Sidekick DOS Files to SK Win3.x & Win95

I will paste the answer here but check out the link above (ie the faq link) as there is lots more too.

Q11
Converting Sidekick DOS Files to SK Win3_x and Win95

If you have an older Sidekick DOS version and want to convert it to Sidekick for Windows, there are several methods you can use to accomplish the task. Instructions according to the version of Sidekick that you own follow:

Section 1. Sidekick 1.0 DOS converting to Sidekick 1.0/2.0 for Windows 3.1
Cardfile (Address Book) If you can obtain a copy of Sidekick Plus or Sidekick 2.0 DOS, use either of these applications to open and convert the Sidekick 1.0 DOS Cardfile (Address Book), which then can be opened in Sidekick for Windows.
See Section 2 or 3 for instructions on how to convert your Sidekick 1.0 DOS Address Book using Sidekick Plus or Sidekick 2.0 DOS.
Calendar - The Sidekick Companions Disk (contains a calendar conversion utility called SKCONV.EXE, found in the \Utils directory that will convert your file. Instructions are in the Readme file called SKCONVWRI which is also in the \Utils directory.
Notefiles - These are saved by default to the TXT file format. They can be imported directly into Sidekick 1.0 or Sidekick 2.0 Windows through Tools | Import Cardfile. Be sure to select TXT as the Source file's format.

Section 2. Sidekick Plus converting to Sidekick Windows 1.0/2.0
Cardfile(Address Book): This file can be imported into Sidekick 1.0/2.0 for Windows using PHUTIL.ZIP. Once the Cardfile is converted into a .CSV format with the help of PHUTIL.ZIP, the Cardfile can then be imported into Sidekick for Windows. (Cardfile View Tools | Import Cardfile, and select the CSV, comma delimited, for the *Source file format*.
Calendar - Use the conversion utility from the Sidekick 2.0 Windows Companions disk called SKCONV.EXE.
Notefile - Again, these files are saved by default to the TXT file formats. They can be imported directly into Sidekick 1.0 or Sidekick 2.0 Windows through Tools | Import Cardfile. Be sure to select TXT as the Source file's format.

Section 3. Sidekick DOS 2.0 converting to Sidekick Windows 1.0/2.0
Cardfile (Address Book) This file can be directly imported into Sidekick 1.0 or 2.0 for Windows because Sidekick 2.0 DOS saves its Cardfile as a Paradox .DB file format, which can be directly imported into Sidekick 1.0 or Sidekick 2.0 Windows by using Tools | Import Text file in the Cardfile view..
Calendar files - Use the SKCONV.EXE utility on the Companions Disk. It converts your Sidekick 2.0 DOS Calendar file so it can be opened and read by Sidekick for Windows 1.0 or 2.0.
Notefile - Here also, files are saved by default to the TXT file format which then can be imported directly into Sidekick 1.0 or Sidekick 2.0 Windows through Tools | Import Cardfile. Be sure to select TXT as the Source file's format.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Dear VidJ,
You can then download the Sidekick98 program and SK98Patch from the address in the following FAQ:

faq807-3761

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Thanks for the prompt reply. Next question - Where do I find phutil.zip?

Sorry VidJ,
The file is not available from Starfish as far as I know (pretty certain on that one)!but anyone with the Disc should have it.
Post a new thread in this Forum and see if anyone else has it I never had it myself and the only link I can find with Google is an Acer Laptop file which I downloaded and I'm pretty certain that one isn't what we are looking for.
Use phutil.zip in your Question/Title and
quote the following (in Bold below) in your post and it may remind people who could have a copy:

The Sidekick Companions Disk (contains a calendar conversion utility called SKCONV.EXE, found in the \Utils directory that will convert your file. Instructions are in the Readme file called SKCONVWRI which is also in the \Utils directory.

Should you fail to get a copy of the conversion file(phutil.zip) I don't think it would be too hard to open the file in a text editor and remove any headings and then import it into Word or Excel and tidy it up and then save as a .csv file which you can then import straight into Sidekick98.
If you are still stuck I will do the conversion for you.
If you do find a copy of phutil.zip, please email a copy to jtotoole@hotmail.com to put on his website!
Good Luck

Regards Jim

Hi again Jim -
As you suggested I've begun a new thread looking for phutil.zip. Fingers crossed.
Thanks,
VidJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back