Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 99 starts slow on XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipthedog

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2004
GB
I've been using Sidekick 99 for years, and on my old computer it worked fine on XP. Now I've just upgraded the 'puter and all worked fine again (Sidekick was the 1st program I installed) until I put on the rest of my stuff. Now it starts up real s-l-o-w, around five to ten seconds - which drives me crazy. (I upgraded from an Athlon 2200 to a 3000).

I reinstalled it. No joy. I then tried Sidekick 98, with the same result.

So something I've installed is probably interfering with it. I tried killing all processes and programs that I could, but the problem persists.

Help appreciated.

Dave

Dear Dave,
How are you getting on with this problem?
I would just like to know if you have it solved yet.
Regards
Jim

Hi,

I went into msconfig on an xp machine that was starting sidekick98 fast, and did the same for the slow machine.

I then compared all the settings for all the choices. I did the best I could to mimic the settings from the fast machine on the slow one.

After doing so and rebooting, the slow startup was solved. So, one or more settings, when disabled via msconfig did the trick. Just don't ask me which one....

See ya

Oops, I blew it. The msconfig trick only worked as long as I didn't start an MS application that called ctfmon.exe

The solution was to make sure the Office Source Engine was enabled (right click MyComputer-Manage-Services And Applications-Services). Then go into "Control Panel-Add Remove Programs" and select an MS application like MicroSoft Office. Select "Change-Add or Remove Features-Choose Advanced Customization of applications-Office Shared Features" and disable "Alternate User Input". It will ask you to get your original CD to complete the process. Once it's done, Sidekick 98 runs fine all the time.

One more item to go over. I had to regedit and remove all instances of ctfmon.exe or it reinstalled itself even after all the removal work relating to the Office Source Engine. I hate Microsoft.

Dear CCHS,
Please if you get the chance,post the solution(and the question) that you have found/worked out, on the FAQ pages here.
Probably a good idea to put it in the group under:
Sidekick98/99 and WinXP
Thanks
Jim
(James33)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back