Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 98 WinXP EVENTS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpg33

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
I have Sidekick 98 on a XP home version with service pack1.
NVIDIA Geforce 4 MX420 graphics card. Everything was working fine until i downloaded new updates for XP and a new driver for the Graphics card. Not sure if that is what happened or not but really the only thing i changed. I reverted back to old driver for graphics with no luck. re named events, new events, re loaded sidekick etc. no luck. looked at other post no luck.
I can not figure out how to use your link to get Truesync witch would be like Sidekick 98/99.
Thank you for all the Help
Chris[2thumbsup]

Dear Chris,
I am quoting from the FAQ that I wrote
faq807-2658

"It has come to my attention via the good services of
Willfried from Munich, Freestate of Bavaria (!)
and I quote from his post in

Thread807-387443

I have been using sk95,97,98,99. Then I learned SK-time is over but ... not true as there is truesync desktop! Any Motorola Mobile Phone has CD with truesync desktop included which is nothing else but SK99. I found somebody who did not use the CD! So I use truesnyc desktop on windows XP professionell, no problems, as I regularly update via Start/Programs/ Starfish Update.
Save your USERDATA and TEMPLATES, No problems. Truesync takes your SK folders. I also sync my palm M515 perfectly. You update your truesync desktop perfectly for anything you want. Just check what you need.
Unfortunately truesync is not SK 97, only SK99. So users of earlier and much more convenient versions might be disappointed as SK99 is :(( compared to SK 97 ;))) in my opinion. Note the paperclip right top corner in contact view:
"The Contact Log pane displays below the current card. Use this pane to view and edit Contact Log information; click the paperclip icon at the right of the Index line to open and close the Contact Log."
This log only shows my mail merge letters + time stamp. I do not get the calendar etc. :(( . So truesync desktop is the latest SK99 but perfectly serviced.
Re installing note the sequence what the other guys told. Palm - Truesync etc.

So there is another option Thanks to
wihb (TechnicalUser)
give his post a Star!!!

That is all I have at the moment about truesync.

With regard to your earlier problem I will spend a little time thinking about it and get back to you...
I have a floor to sand and varnish this week!
Anyone else like to have a go? Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum out for answers, it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Dear Chris,
Further to that last post did you uninstall Sidekick98 prior to reloading it?
Also it would help to pin things down if you could remember the exact sequence of events prior to the problem... Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum out for answers, it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

I manually deleted the starfish directory after backing up my userdata file. I know from experience that once the event or other calendar file is corrupted some how that you can not use the same file name again unless you reload software. i used to use cpg calendar but it was not showing monthly views of multiday events so i no use test calendar i was having no problem. but if i saved test as cpg calendar it would have the problem again not sure why. I guess i should delete starfish re load w/patch see if i have the prob in a new calendar. but soon as i open the old one with the data i think it will corrupt again.
Thanks so much for the help.
Chris
good luck with your floor.

Dear Chris,
1. See faq807-2807 for advice on which files to backup.
Pay particular attention to the Extra files
(Label and Layout that is)

Also while at the Starfish site see the
'Dealing with Calendar corruption' FAQ

2. faq807-1313 will give you the download site for the program and patch, as a suggestion, save the Sidekick98 and Patch files in a folder on another partition (or even on the same)on your hard Drive and then you can reinstall very easily.
Regards Jim

Ok i uninstalled sidekick/ then totally removed sidekick and truesync from the c drive. re loade new sidekick with patch and am having the same issue with events. when i copy and paste this is what i get minus the brackets [Time Text Note Complete Alarm Unconfirm Lasting Time
12:00p À€€€$ÿýrp ~~~ N Y N 15]all that shows is the $yyrp with the things on top of the y's. I have no clue what to do now.
Thanks again
Chris

Dear Chris,
When you say Uninstalled Sidekick did you go to
Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs or did you use the Uninstall program that is in the Sidekick Folder
or..
Did you just delete the Userdata folder again

Because if you did that it leaves all the .ini files in the program folder, the Registry entries for Sidekick in the Registry and a load of other trash from Sidekick still on the system.

I hate to say this but, uninstall Sidekick using the Add/Remove Programs entry in the Control Panel or the Uninstall facility in the Sidekick program Folder.

Then do a clean Re-install and lets see what happens then.
Regards Jim

Hello James
I used the control panel uninstall, when it was completed i deleted the folder starfish from my c drive. then clean install plus sk8patch. with out opening my backed up sidekick file i typed in the events section and still had the funky letters.
I have been tring to get this truesynch but have had no luck. I have ACT 2000, Outlook, but they just do not work as easy and quick as Sidekick. They have too much junk. Palm desktop is close but not quite flexible enough with the custom fields for me.
Thanks
Chris

Have you tried Starfish for TrueSync?
They at least should know where you can get it. Regards Jim

Hello
Jim
I have installed truesynch the software is great i am having problems syncing my palm 505. memos and fields in the contacts. it says my palm is running out of space. i have almost 3,000 contacts never had a prob with sidekick 98 i am confused about the proper setup.
i have read all the manuals and am lost. alomost there just cant get the dfetails down.
thanks

Dear Chris,
Have you got EXACTLY the same names for your fields in both Programs?
Try out the Palm Forum forum601
It could be that you have too many fields in your Cardfile??

To get around that,
Assuming that TruSync works the same way as Sidekick and allows you to merge Cardfiles...

Duplicate the Cardfile in TrueSync (i.e. Save it under another name (eg 'Synch') and then delete all the fields you don't need and add one that you can put a specific sign in like '@' or any sign that the Palm doesn't have a problem inserting and that Sidekick/TrueSync can use in an
Extract on Condition

Then when you sync your Palm Contacts with that Cardfile you can extract the ones from the Cardfile that have that sign on them
(ie the ones that you put the sign on when you updated them) and merge them with your Initial Cardfile.
Duplicate your Cardfile again and remove the fields and save it under the same name as before (to overwrite the previous Synched one)
With a judicious use of the index you can remove Cards from the Cardfile (i.e. sort on that sign and then
Delete cards with Blank Index)

This all sounds a little oblique and upon reflection seems to make a big deal out of Synchronising...
Which should be made easy!!!!
Try out your own ideas and if any of these help use them.
Anyone else got an answer for the questions Chris asked
Regards Jim

I got Truesynch to WORK !!!!!!
it synchs fine just have to set it up right. not as easy as sidekick 98.
Thanks for all the help
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back