Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 98/Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDtwo

MIS
Nov 3, 2015
US
thread807-1702833
I used Henry W's method of installing Sidekick 98 and I am getting an error message which appears to be city info. I've attached the actual error message. Does anyone know a solution? Thanks for your help! By the way, I have Sidekick 98 running successfully on two Win10's and one Win7. The system I am trying to get functioning is a win10 that started as Win8 and never had Sidekick 98 installed on it. On the other systems Sidekick 98 was moved from win98 to XP via PCMover years ago and then had the systems upgraded to Win7 to Win10 via system upgrades. The earlier PCMover allowed programs to be moved selectively but the newer versions do not allow select-able moves so this is why I have a problem.

After installing Sidekick 98 on the Win10 system, that never had Sidekick 98 on it, I put a shortcut in the start menu. I then re-booted and received the error message. I manually ran the shortcut as "run as administrator" and it worked ok. I updated the start menu with the "run as administrator" option turned on and got the same error message. Does anyone know how to get around this issue? The message is attached.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bfb547c9-629b-433f-b55b-40df25ead072&file=Sidekick_98_Error.pdf
I resolved the problem by re-installing for the 3rd time. Everything now is working fine.

I have installed Sidekick 95 deluxe on my windows 10 desktop but it refuses to work and says that MFC30.DLL is missing.It suggested reinstalling which I did but the same result.
Any advice would be appreciated as my older version is on my windows xp professional and has all my contacts which I want to transfer.

Looks like there are two threads running together with the same title.
I too had problems with city.dat on upgrading to Windows 10 which was solved with "run as administrator".

As regards Sidekick 95, I have only seen Sidekick 98 as the program that works on everything (and available free on-line) and have not seen any reports that any other version also works. Anyway, I have had Sidekick 98 since Vista and am happy to have it working on Windows 10, despite me having problems with Windows 10 itself.

Hi dannymullan,
I think you will have fixed MFC30.DLL by now as a corrupted version affects Windows, not just Sidekick. It is normally found in C:\windows\system32 and it is not enough just to replace it as it connects with registry changes. So if you still have the problem try Google with "MFC30.DLL missing from Window 7" and you´ll find this is a common problem. You can choose something like PCCleaner to fix it. There´s sure to be a free one.

correction MFC30.DLL missing from Windows 10! You should get the same answer!

I had SK 98 running on W8 in a clunking fashion for several years but remained usable. W10 auto installed itself on my Asus but SK98 by some miracle ran well. Suddenly it has stopped working after a MS fixed some other software conflicts with W10. I tried running as admin. under compatibility mode using all earlier Windows OS but none reloaded SK. So, do I start to fix this by deleting SK off my C drive? Then find instruction here to get W10 to load SK98 with W10. I am so angry at Motorsl not allowing SK to be updated. Like many here I love and use SK a lot.

Also, resetting psw function never works as I never get the reset emsil. Fortunately, I finally recalled my original psw to post this. What's the issue with resetting psw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back