Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 98 `TO DO' Items DO NOT FORWARD 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROCKER

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
Is there any way, I can get unfinished items to forward to the next day? The calendar is useless without it. I am using XP. Tried changing date in *INIT.SKW as suggested in another thread but did not work.

Been using the Sidekick Calendar for years. If unable to use in XP where can I find a comparable Calendar?

THIS WORKED FOR ME.

DO NOT click the SK patch. Instead open a folder and put the SK patch into it,
then open Win-Zip and unzip the patch into that folder. You will have a new SK98.exe
and a new dll. Open Starfish/SideKick/Program file and drag-drop the exe and the dll
one at a time, and confirm the replacement.

IN MY COMPUTER THIS WORKED. Recently my SideKick seized up and I had to reinstall.
I had forgotten this procedure, and JUST LIKE YOU, my TDs and GOAL-LIST disappeared.
I remembered this crazy procedure, and it worked again LIKE MAGIC.

GOOD LUCK.

Elsa Garcia

Dear all,
Well done elsaGarcia it worked for me too!
Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Brocker

I have just downloaded the patch and my Sidekick 98 seems to be working perfectly. On Oct 1, 2002 and you mentioned the 1% that didn't work properly but I failed to understand what you meant by not getting recurring events and To Do's to record. Could you be more specific. Thanks.

Les

RE: To Do's do not forward and get Invalid File MAST.WK when changing time periods.

Use Skw98 with w2000 Prof

Downloaded and instatlled Sidekick.exe patch. Preceding two problems solved (after living with them for over a year)

New problem has developed . . . when typing in an Event, the first few letters are garbage

e.g. when "new Event" was typed in, it showed up as "tºÎw Event"

Any suggestions????

Dear BCALAKL,
The answer you are looking for is in
faq807-3130
written by JackPort.
or
thread807-169169
Written by CWSarture
:)
Give them both a Star
Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

RE: To Do's do not forward and get Invalid File MAST.WK when changing time periods.

My original question was:

Downloaded and instatlled Sidekick.exe patch. Preceding two problems solved (after living with them for over a year)

New problem has developed . . . when typing in an Event, the first few letters are garbage

e.g. when "New Event" was typed in, it showed up as "èøew Event"

Any suggestions????

james33 suggested checking FAQ807-3130 and Thread807-169169

Checked FAQ807-3130 and Thread807-169169 Problems and solutions appear to be associated with XP; I’m running W2K Pro

Also not using FileBox extender

Any other suggestions?

Dear BCALAK,

Have you tried stopping Rundll32.exe?
If it is running that is.
as suggested by JackPort in FAQ807-3130

I know we are a bit in the dark on this one, but Starfish don't support sidekick at all, so it is down to us to try and see what works.
If you think about it,XP and Win2000 are fairly similar,
In fact, if you look at the version(?) number, I believe they both show up as versions of NT.

If anyone else has any ideas then don't hesitate, POST.
There is another option but I believe that is down to the display driver, what Graphics card do you have?

I am reproducing JackPorts FAQ here:

Some Windows applications apparently require "Rundll32.exe" application to run in the background. The Windows Rundll32 Program is used to run DLLs as programs and is used by many programs to execute functions located in a DLL file. By terminating this process using Windows Task Manager, the problem with the calendar is solved; however, some other program may be affected.

Downloading XP Service Pack 1 eliminated that background program, Rundll32.exe, on my PC with the calendar problem.

My advice for those with the problem:

1) Confirm Rundll32.exe is running in background;

2) Download Windows XP Service Pack 1 and see whether Rundll32.exe is still running;

3) If so, "end process" with Windows Task Manager and then test for effects on any other problems.
Regards Jim

Dear BCALAK,
I had the same problem, when I got a new Sony Vaio notebook and installed SK98. It turned out I had to return the sony because of a defective cd drive totally unrelated to this problem. Since it was their last model in stock I decided to get a Toshiba notebook instead. I did not expierence that same problem on the toshiba. SK98 works fine on it. Both computers came with the same winxp version. Did you get a new computer and had to reinstall SK98 on it? It may have something to do with the video.
Waltraud

Really appreciate the responses I've gotten thus far.

My original question was:

Downloaded and instatlled Sidekick.exe patch. Preceding two problems solved (To Do's do not forward and get Invalid File MAST.WK when changing time periods)

e.g. when "New Event" was typed in, it showed up as "èøew Event"

Potential solutions condidered from previous responses:

- not using FileBox extender

- run SK98 on desktop & laptop which both are W2K Prof operating systems; same problem on both machines; seems to rule out video card

- checked Task Mgr on both machines and Rundll32.exe is NOT running in background

Any more suggestions????

I move an older version of sidekick from a Win98 machine to a windows 2000. Was able to get the program to run for the user. After a few weeks She now gets an error when trying to launch the program "invalid cardfile" any suggestions????

Thanks
Tim
caster523@aol.com

Dear Tim,
The following assumes
1. That the version of Sidekick you are using is SK98, and that
2. All the Folders/program files are in the Default locations (ie you let Sidekick install without changing anything).
If either of the preceeding statements is not true then

DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING
Otherwise go ahead

First Copy the Userdata Cardfile to another location on your hard disk
and then
You must first in Windows Explorer|Folder options
change the situation where it says
Hide File extensions for known file types
To NO
and then as you can see the extensions
Delete all the Cardfiles with the .SKCard extension in the Userdata folder
and then Start Sidekick from the Sidekick program file.
SIDEKICK.EXE
Any problems post back here.
HTH Regards Jim

Does the sk98 patch work for sidekick 99 or just for sidekick 98 because I tried it and it didnt work for me.

Dear misstech,

The Sidekick98 patch resolves the problems by replacing two files,

1. Sidekick.exe (the Sidekick98 program file itself)
2. Yintl.dll

I haven't tried it on Sidekick99, mostly for the reason that it (Sidekick99) isn't Sidekick98.

Regards Jim

Dear misstech,
The preferred procedure is to
Close down Sidekick98
Download the Patch and then Extract it to a folder you have created on your desktop and then
Using windows Explorer drag the two files into the program folder of Sidekick98.
Which is usually but not always located at:

C:\Starfish\Sidekick98\Program

or

C:program Files\Starfish\Sidekick98\Program

Depending on where you chose to install it.

There is also a procedure to edit one of the Calendar files "Last Edited Date" but see
AllTheStarfishFAQs1 AT faq807-2966
the following Questions: Q13 "Data Corruption Procedures For SDK98 Calendar" and Q15 Error: "Invalid file to complete this action! mast:wk"
and checkout also:
AllTheStarfishFAQs2 AT faq807-3000

Regards Jim

I need the sidekick 98 patch (sk98patch.exe) but can not find it on the starfish website anymore. Could someone email it to me? Thanks,
debrinkleyusa@netscape.net

I, too, am having theproblem with To Do items not forwarding when running Sidekick 98 under Windows XP. Clearly, I need the Y2K patch, but it appears that the patch is no longer available on the Starfish web site.

If someone could e-mail me the patch or tell me where I might find it, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!

-- Cliff Wilson

Dear all,
Sorry it has changed now, so see:
faq807-3643
I will change that faq if it changes again.

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back