Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 98 `TO DO' Items DO NOT FORWARD 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROCKER

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
Is there any way, I can get unfinished items to forward to the next day? The calendar is useless without it. I am using XP. Tried changing date in *INIT.SKW as suggested in another thread but did not work.

Been using the Sidekick Calendar for years. If unable to use in XP where can I find a comparable Calendar?

This is an issue acknowledged by Starfish regarding Win2000 & XP.

SK99 was created before Win2000, therefore techncally the system requirements are WinNT 4.0 or Win98, and there is no fix for this.

Personally, I can't recommend an alternate product.

Dear BROCKER,

See faq807-1241

At the bottom you will see a link to a page giving a summary of reasons why ToDo's do not forward.
Several users have appeared to be happy enough with WinXP and Sidekick98 and from that it would appear that the ToDo's are forwarding for them Please post back if you do overcome the problem as it helps eveyone else.

HTH Regards Jim

Hi,
you need a y2k patch for this problem. You can download it from the starfish site. The file is sidekick.exe and cames in a zipformat after unzipping it you just copy it into the program folder and it will replace the old copy. It should work for you.
good luck,
Waltraud

Dear Waltraud1,

Thanks for your response.
I went to the Starfish site and was unable to find any downloads there. Did a search on the site under "y2k or patch."

This is what I received:

Product Category
All Products Customer Service Motorola Products Older Starfish Products TrueSync Products Yahoo Products
All Sub-ProductsDashboard ®Internet Utilities ®REX ® DeviceSidekick 2.0 ®Sidekick 95 ®Sidekick 97 ®Sidekick 98 ®Sidekick 99 ® All Categories Calendar Connectivity Contacts Customer Service Documentation General Import Information Install/Config/Mapping Memos/Notes Printing Synchronization Tasks/ToDos Troubleshooting Tutorials

Search Text (optional) Search Tips

Search by Sort by
Phrases Similar Phrases Exact Phrase Complex Expression Ref. # Default Sort Subject

2 Answers Found

Subject

1 Error: "Invalid file to complete this action! mast:wk"

2 Msg: A required DLL file, SFRES.DLL was not found

Any suggestions?

Brocker

Dear Brocker,
See the FAQ area of this Forum for the download address of the Year2000 Patch and a lot more.
Click on the Link below your post (and mine and everyone else's too):

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

HTH
Regards Jim

Dear Brocker,
Jim aka:james33 has the right answer for your problem in the FAQ area. Just check question #6 Sidekick95/Internet Sidekick Invalid File MAST.WK /Goals &Todo's not forwarding - that will give you the link for the download patch. The patch is called SK98Patch.exe. After it is unzipped, all I had to do is to copy the new sidekick.exe file into the program folder. It replaced the old file and worked.
download from: ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/sk98patch.exe
good luck,
Waltraud

I can't thank you and James33 enough. When I finally downloaded the sk98patch.exe Sidekick started to work 99% as before. Thanks to you both for making my life much simpler.
I believe Sidekick is the best PIM I have ever used.

The 1% that doesn't work is I cannot get "recurring" events or "To Do's" to record but I can certainly live with it. If you have an answer to this, let me know.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Ron

Eek now that download doesn't work to get the patch at ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/sk98patch. Can someone mail it to me? Or is there somewhere else I can get it?
-Di[ponytails]

Dear littlepear/Di,
I believe that it may be a temporary glitch on the Starfish Site as there are even some errors on their Home Page.
See
faq807-1313
where I will post the result
Regards Jim

Sorry in my haste I forgot to state what the result would be..
What I meant is that I will keep trying and when the server is up and running I will post back here and in the FAQ
Regards Jim

Dear Di,
If you comment on one of the FAQ's I have written I will see what can be done for now. That will give me your email address (the one you gave when you joined Tek-Tips)

Regards Jim

Dear littlepear/Di,
The site is up and running now, I checked it at 08:46 GMT.
Both the patch and the SDK98 download.
Good luck!
Regards Jim

Dear all,
I have just tried to log on to Starfish's Main Site and it seems that there is no way in to the Sidekick section so download any of the pages you can find of the Help files and save for viewing offline.
The only way of getting into the site now appears to be through the links on our FAQ page here.
FAQ807-2098 Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Hi Brocker,
First, Congratulate that you have successfully solve the SK98 ToDos forwarding problem.

I am HTTin that love to use SideKick98 since the first time and the first PIM I installed it to my Win95 operating system.
I have the same problem that happen when I switch to XP. I have read this forum and get to know that the patch sk98patch.exe that suppose it can be downloadable from: ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/sk98patch.exe from the site to solve it but unfortunately the link doesn't work when I tried many times. I do not know whether is it possible to email the sk98patch.exe to me since you have down loaded from the site?
If you are convenience, email it to tin_ht@163.com

Thank you.

Dear HTTin,
The site seems to be OK now, but just for the 'Craic'(Irish for just for the Fun of it) I downloaded the sk98patch.exe from the following address today at 22:00 GMT:

ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/sk98patch.exe

and it is at 99% now, no it's not it is at 100%.
I emailed a copy to you from work this morning as well...

Put a folder on another partition on your Hard Disk and call it SDK98andPatch and put the the Patch and the program Download in it and then when you need it again you don't have to download it!
(There is the possibility that it may not be there to download shortly)!
Address for the Program Download is:

ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/skw98sea.exe

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Hello, James33.
I have got your SK98Patch.exe which is sent to me by email and I got the unfinished ToDos items forwarded on the next day. Once again thank you very much for your help.
Unfortunately there is one more problem that confuse me is the ToDo task enter date. It always show year 94 instead of 02. May be it is related to primary language that I use is Chinese. This is not a very serious problem but if any one can help it would be perfect.
HTTin 2002.12.20

Dear HTTin,
I am afraid that the issue with the ToDo Task enter date is the same in any language and had not been addressed by Starfish before they ceased supporting Sidekick.

They say: Only 'God(s)/Allah' is/are perfect

so I am afraid for the moment the matter will have to rest there...
Regards Jim

Dear All,
If you have read this thread you can see that HTTin has said that the link for the download wasn't working, this may have been true at the time but the link is working now and as it is an FTP site it is best if you paste the link into something like StarDownloader at

and the same holds true for the rest including the SDK98 program. But not apparently the SDK99 program.
Hopefully Starfish will keep the downloads on the server for a good while.
Over the holidays I might make a stab at the FAQ's in this forum to try and include as many solutions to the problems we have solved.
Regards Jim

Dear All,
As regrds this problem and many like it there are solutions on the FAQ pages of this forum.
All the 54 Starfish FAQs in Text form are on two pages:

The first 1-->27 are in:
All the Starfish FAQs1 on
faq807-2966
and The last 27-->54 are in:
All the Starfish FAQs2 on
faq807-3000
besides these there are also several FAQs dealing with other subjects not covered by Starfish

HTH

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back