Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIDEKICK 98 REPLACEMENT ??? 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

caddstudio

Technical User
Feb 17, 2002
US
I have been using Sidekick 98 for years and love the software. I can't for the life of me figure out why Starfish decided to discontinue the software. I have tried '99 but went back to '98.
Question: does anyone know of a suitable replacement PDA software that will import the Sidekick Calender, Memo, and Address Files???? I have thousands of addresses that I use for mail sync and I need to keep them. I don't have a need for a Palm Device but I would by uy one if it would import the Sidekick format.

Caddstudio and others looking for a Sidekick replacement,
I'd been a faithful Sidekick 95 user for years until I upgraded to Win XP Pro. With lots of data inaccessible, I started searching for a replacement, hopeful that my Sidekick data could somehow be imported. I didn't find that panacea, but I did come across AnyTime Deluse 8.3 from designed for Windows 98 and later versions up to XP. Then I stumbled onto this forum, downloaded Sidekick 98 and regained access to my data. The failure of ToDos to carryover prompted me to look more seriously at AnyTime Deluxe and it has a lot going for it.

PROS
As for To Dos, it has lots of options to set recurring ("repeat") items and I like the fact that overdue items persistently come up daily in an alert window where you can selectively mark them done, carry them over, update or delete.

You can send e-mails from the Address and To Do Details windows and, from the Address Details window, you can also launch a Web site or even get MapQuest directions for the entered address. You can also download schedules for major events, such as major sports schedules.

While I'm not a Palm or other PDA user, I've checked the documentation and there's a program (AnySynch) that purportedly will synchronize data for many PDAs.

CONS
1. Obviously, the biggest one is the migration of data from Sidekick to AnyTime. The good news is that I at least have access to the data now and I've been able to dump a lot of stuff that was obsolete.
2. You can't configure recurring items to repeat "indefinitely." So, if you only go out a year or two, you might inadvertently drop still active To Dos. It's possible there's an alert before that happens, but I haven't gotten there yet.
3. While you can assign a contact to a filter Group, add new Groups, and turn the filter on and off, when the filter is "on", you still have to go through each alphabetical section of the Address Book to see everyone in a selected Group.

CONCLUSION
Overall, I see more pluses than minuses, and it's supported!
Regards, Ken

Dear Ken,
The only problem I would have with Anytime Deluxe is that you seem (and it is from reading their advertisement online) not to be able to have Custom Fields in your Cardfiles, is that correct? Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Hi Jim,
You're right. The Address Details window is where you enter data for each contact that displays in the Address Book. There are 3 tabs; General, Notes and Info. There are some 24 fields in the General tab for name, position, company, addresses (3), phones, and e-mails. You can send e-mail, launch a web site or get MapQuest directions from this window. The Notes tab is self explanatory and the Info tab contains the Group selection filter and space for birthdays, anniversaries and other special dates.

The help info indicates an ability to customize and it pertains to how data is displayed in the Address Book; i.e. sorted by first or last name, and whether 1, 2, 3 or 4 lines of data will be displayed for each contact.

Regards,
Ken

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME FIND A DOWNLOAD SITE OR LINK ? {ONE THAT WORKS}
I AM SEARCHING FOR SIDEKICK 95 v2.0
IF YOU DO PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
THANKS SMTHVIC1

First visit to this forum.
Still using Sidekick95 !
Bought it for TAPI, but never was successful in getting that feature to work. Refused to upgrade until a version supported that claim. Anyone have any idea:
1) If/how upgrades can be made? (Where available?)
2) If TAPI was ever successfully part of a version / is supported under Win2000?

Thanks !
Peter

Sidekick 98 -- My Sidekick 98 EXE file has disappeared from my hard drive. Of course, I cannot find the installation floppies. I have been using the program legally for years and all my contact info is in there. Does anyone know the best way to get this working again, or does anyone have a copy of the installation disks? By the way, I hated Sidekick 99.

Dear chelo,

First, do please post as a new Thread as it allows people that haven't marked all the pages for notification like I have, to help you too.
The answer to your question is:

See Q09 on the following FAQ for the download address:
faq807-2966

Copy that FAQ to your hard drive and the following one too:
FAQ807-3000

and then you will have a lot of the Links that are required.

the actual download site for the program is:
ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/skw98sea.exe

and the patch is:
ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/sk98patch.exe

Also see the installation instructions for the patch and follow them faithfully then you will be up and running again.
HTH

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Dear All,
The latest address of the Site for the Patch
download is in:

faq807-3643

That FAQ will be updated if it changes

You need a password though for the Program download at Starfish and even though I registered, and I had a password
I can't seem to get in.
I'm not sure what Starfish are up to, as there are still a lot of us users, even just in this Forum.
As of today 25 May 2003 there are at least 1230 users...

Regards Jim

This is for doctorj227, regarding his solution to converting Sidekick 98 data to Palm OS 4.1. [I haven't figured out how to send this to him directly, so I am hoping that he reads this thread.]

John,

This is in regard to moving the Sidekick 98 data to a PDA. Apparently, your PDA must have been compatible with a serial port. The Setup program (Local tab) through HotSync Manager 2.0 does not list a USB option, only serial com ports. My Sony CLIE SJ33 only synchronizes through a USB port. Would you kindly offer a solution for myself and others with a similar problem? Or did I possibly miss something in all the installations I performed today?

Thanks,

Rick V.
877-233-8355

Looks like I'm not the only one gone over to xp and find that SK98 will not carry forward "to do's" Does the patch for 98 repair or solve this problem or is there another way around it or is an alternative program available that I can download all my addresses to?
Seems that Starfish should either relaunch or let someone else develope the prog. further as it has so many followers.

boyc

Dear boyc,
The patch appears to solve the problem if you check out the other threads related to Sidekick98 and WinXP.
There appear to be some people it works for and some that it doesn't.
I believe that it all comes down to installing the Program and Patch correctly, following all the procedures that have been worked out by those that it DOES work for.
See the various posts in this forum (see advanced search and use "Winxp or just "XP" and "Only in the Starfish Sidekick forum" as the search criteria) and you will come up with the answers.
See also the FAQ area of this forum for the Patch download address.

Regards Jim

James 33
A Big thank you. Lovely to see a to do list carried forward as it should. The patch worked for me.
Boyc

the last version I have is 98- which I upgraded from 95- where did you get the 99- are there any later updates available?

Dear jeff,
the latest update is SK99 but it is not as good as SK98 so don't bother as it is a crippled version of SK98,
See other posts in this forum regarding SK99.

Regards Jim

I have been using Sidekick for years but the time has come to move on.
I've looked at dozens of replacements. Desktop set, Gold Mine etc etc.
The winner by a county mile was Act! 5 (not 6) and the good part is that it was free on the Australian mag' APC in December 2002.
There are two forums on TekTips.
Ken F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back