Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIDEKICK 98 REPLACEMENT ??? 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

caddstudio

Technical User
Feb 17, 2002
US
I have been using Sidekick 98 for years and love the software. I can't for the life of me figure out why Starfish decided to discontinue the software. I have tried '99 but went back to '98.
Question: does anyone know of a suitable replacement PDA software that will import the Sidekick Calender, Memo, and Address Files???? I have thousands of addresses that I use for mail sync and I need to keep them. I don't have a need for a Palm Device but I would by uy one if it would import the Sidekick format.

I had been using Sidekick97, I recently purchased an Palm IIIxe. I found that my Sidekick97 did not have any HotSync capability, or more important I had to purchaes Hotsync from Starfish. I wanted to transfer my Sidekick97 data to my Palm. So after posting a question on this forum and being redirected to a faq(check the other threads); I was able to aquire Sidekick98 with TrueSync 2.5.
Now i have been able to Sync my Address, Card Files, and memos to my Palm.
You will have to do some minor fudging but it works.
I installed in order, Palm Desktop 4.01, then Sidekick98, DONOT install the Sidekick98 True Sync. First make sure that you can use the Sync from Desktop to Palm using the Palm Sync Manager. This assures you that all is working. If this does not work, then you can get assistance from palm. Once you have established that you can Sync, go back and install SideKick98 True Sync. Then REAL IMPORTANT, copy sisaddr.dll, sisdate.dll,sismemo.dll, sisn.dll, and sistodo.dll from TrueSync folder over to Pilot Desktop. Then you will be able to sync Sidekick98 and Palm, you have to rename some fields in palm if you are syncing card files.

Hope this helps

I love Sidekick98, too bad it has been discontinued.

"The Doc..."
JohnMorales

Okay, pretty nifty. But will this allow you to synch you Palm device with the Palm desktop and dump your addresses, calenders, and memos into Palm desktop?
I've been faced with the same problem--years of Sidekick addresses and memos I don't want to retype. And as much as I like Sidekick, I'm wondering if it's not time to make the move to Palm Desktop, if only because it's likely to be supported for a long time.
I got a copy of Sidekick 99, and got it to synch with my Handspring Visor Delux and my Rex card (cool!), but this arrangement still locks me into using Sidekick as my desktop program. I've tried synching with the Visor, and then uninstalling Sidekick99, hoping that then I can sych with Palm Desktop and move my data over that way. It seems to work with the calender, to do, and memos, but none of the contact files moved over. Any ideas?
tks,

Dear Caddstudio & Sidekick Loyalist,
See faq807-1409 for a way of transferring the Cardfiles and Card/Contact logs from Sidekick into: Access/Excel/LotusApproach/Lotus123 and pretty much everything else.
The only way to export the card/contact logs
(Short of a Few Thousand quid/euro/dollars)
is to get a copy of Internet Sidekick
(I'm not entirely sure that SDK97 is the same)
That (Internet Sidekick) version of Sidekick was the only one that allowed you to export the Card/Contact Log as just another field, funnily enough it was the ability to synchronise files in that version that spelt the end for Sidekick AFAIK..
Ironic really.
Regards Jim

Caddstudio,
A program called DESKTOP SET 6.5 by OKNA say they can import all Sidekick files. Appears to be a more involved PIM than Sidekick. I think they are at

Caddstudio,
A program called DESKTOP SET 6.5 by OKNA say they can import all Sidekick files. Appears to be a more involved PIM than Sidekick. I think they are at

I neglected to mention Desktop Set is also suppose to interface with Palm Pilot. Don't know about other PDAs. They have a free trial period.

Does anyone have a copy of Sidekick 98? I bought this software from Starfish before it became ABANDONWARE and can't find the installation program (it was downloaded from Starfish).

Now Starfish doesn't support it anymore and I can't get it anywhere....

Dear PDevans,
See the Faq area of this forum for the address of the download site.
faq807-1313
HTH
Regards Jim

I am just an end-user but have stumbled onto this Sidekick forum (I guess there is a forum for everything). I never used Sidekick back in the Dos days but have grown to be a real fan since Windows (starting with Sidekick 1.0 on Windows 3.1). After year 2000 I changed to Sidekick 2.0 and eventually changed to Win95 then Win98SE. I downloaded Sidekick98 but found it to be less useable than 2.0--plus I really missed the QuickMenu feature. So I migrated back to 2.0. Over the years I have perused other so-called PIMs (I am currently trying out Desktop Set) but never found anything that touched Sidekick's ease of use and overall features.

What a pity that such a good program has been relegated by its developers to the software trash heap!

Where do you copy the following files into? Just inside the basic palm desktop software or into a particular folder

"Then REAL IMPORTANT, copy sisaddr.dll, sisdate.dll,sismemo.dll, sisn.dll, and sistodo.dll from TrueSync folder over to Pilot Desktop."

They just issued ACT! 5 (ACT! 2000) free on a magazine cover. I've been looking it over and it seems OK.
There is no denying that Sidekick 98, as simple as it is, has a hell of a lot going for it. Act! does it all and then some but it is quite a bit harder to use. Perhaps it's overkill.

Palm Desktop- SK 98 replacement.

I too was a loyal SL user from v 1.
Upon upgrading to windows XP, the problems with synching became too great.

I gave up and started using the palm desktop V 4.1.

It's not as good as SK 98, but it has most features.
I was able to do a final synch from SK to my palm V, installed the palm desktop (a free download )which then took all my SK data (addresses with notes, to- do, memos, calendars) into the app.

Palm's features are more rudimentary, but it is very fast and synch's perfectly in about 30 sec.

Unless you have specific SK needs that palm won't do, I suggest you give it a try.

Hi
First I installed palm cradle to com1 port. palm must be on cradle. (if you are using mouse at com1, change to serial port)
I installed side kick 98, truesync and to my computer, after I started truesync you must respond all questions.
and push the hotsync button on the cradle. trusync will starting. Side kick's trusync is not enough for some palm applications.
after I close side kick, and install palmdesktop software. I install only trusync function, must install sidekick truesync directory. (programfiles\starfish\trusync) setup ask that do you owerwrite to the same filename (cardfile "yes", events "yes", to do "no", expense "no")
after I have a new truesync and I am using other palm applications for hotsync (for example : Take an order, On Hand, Dictionary, Outlook express mail).

regards
Tansu

I have sidekick 98 on my computer. I loved it because it connected with the rochelle call display and was wonderful --- but I have not used it for so long now I forgot the password. (You know I named it something so simple that I didn't need to write it down at the time) I paid starfish right over the internet and downloaded it from them, so they would know I am a registered owner. But they are no longer in business. Does anybody know what to do? my emal is cotpub@nisa.net

Dear ecbalpaca,
I have emailed you but I will copy the FAQ into here to show the highlighted parts:

This applies to SDK98 only and has not been checked on any other version
First of all be VERY VERY CAREFUL

Go to: Start|Run|Regedit
Then navigate through the Registry to the following branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|SOFTWARE|Sidekick 98|version 1|PASSWORD

Highlight Password and go to:
Registry|Export registry File
and check the Branch at the bottom refers to the Password Branch

SAVE IT TO THE DESKTOP AS A FILE NAMED:
SDKPassword.reg

in the right pane of Regedit there is a name
pswd
Highlight that name and delete it
then exit Regedit.

When you next start Sidekick it will have a blank/Greyed out password box and 2 Boxes to enter and confirm your new password, I would suggest (V.Strongly) that you enter a
very simple one.

Start Sidekick

Once Sidekick is up and running
go to
Tools|Preferences|General

and untick the box that says 'Password at startup'

IMPORTANT IMPORTANT
Make sure you then click the password button in

Tools|Preferences|General

Then enter your password and leave the new password Text boxes both empty.
Ok that dialogue and then make sure
Password at startup
is still not ticked..

As I said before be very careful in the registry
any problems just
DoubleClick the Registry Backup

SDKPassword.reg on the Desktop

and you are back to where you were at the beginning.
If all goes well just delete
SDKPassword.reg
PERMANENTLY.
HTH Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

I am about to switch to a new laptop and woudl like to continue using my SIdekick 98. Unfortunately, I bought Sidekick 98 via a download from Starfish and no longer have the install file. Does anyone know how I can get a new copy of the install program?

Dear tropicalman,
I have just checked today Saturday 1st February at 22:10 GMT and both are working
SK98 Patch download:
ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/sk98patch.exe
SK98 Program Download
ftp://ftp2.starfish.com/pub/sk98/skw98sea.exe
Do check the following FAQs before installing the Patch
On a related matter, for your own benefit it would be a good idea to copy the two FAQs under the title:
1Starfish Faq's new Addresses
in the FAQ area of the Starfish forum
Called:
faq807-2966
All the Starfish FAQs1
Last Edited 1/11/03

and faq807-3000
All the Starfish FAQs2
Last Edited 1/11/03

These FAQs give you the addresses of all the downloads still available.
HTH Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

James 33:

Thanks a million. This is going to make migration to my new laptop that much easier. I was really dreading having to settle for using the Outlook calendar instead of my old reliable Sidekick.

to James 33

Thanks a million. I am going to try that regedit fix on my old sk98 program
.. i appreciate your help -- in the meantime I downloaded SK99 and installed it and it works (synchs) perfectly with my Palm - Does anybody know how to convert quickbooks address list to SK - Thanks again - Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back