Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 98 on Win 10 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nssc

Systems Engineer
Dec 30, 2020
GB
I've run Sidekick on every version of Windows since 98 and Win 10 was a welcome return to easy installation after the last few versions. However today it wouldn't run (Win 10 Pro), no matter what I tried, even reinstalling the whole thing.

The problem turned out to be Samsung SmartSwitch - I uninstalled it and everything is now back to being splendid. Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

Sidekick is still, and by a long, long way, the best PIM there's ever been, and I've tried them all.

Many many thanks for the Sidekick wisdom here - it's saved my bacon many times!

Trevor

Not sure what Samsung SmartSwitch would have to do with anything but I have also struggled over the years getting Sidekick to work with each Windows upgrade. You probably already know this but the first best thing is to NOT allow the installation to put thing in the Programs folder and to just create a separate Sidekick folder in C: The latest struggle I have had is getting past the splash screen on my computer at work and at home which are both running Win 10 64bit. The solution I posted elsewhere is opening the Task Manager and right-clicking the Sidekick process, go to details, and then right-click to show the Wait Chain. On both my computer at work and my computer at home Sidekick was waiting on something when the splashscreen came up and in both cases when I right-clicked and ended those processes Sidekick continued to load right up and things were fine.

It's really too bad that nobody ever took this program into the public domain with the requisite tweaks/updating to get it to easily work on current systems.

Doug

Dear DougSilver

You're still around too and we're still dreaming about that rewrite of the program!

No chance, I remember that terrifically long thread where we discussed it and came to the conclusion that with the weird date situation and various other things, it was a no go.
What a pity!

Hope all is well with you and your family

Regards
Jim

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of any Forum you are in for answers to similar queries, it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back