Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SIDEKICK-98 AND WINDOWS XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

caddstudio

Technical User
Feb 17, 2002
US
I have recently loaded Sidekick 98 on an xp machine. I can start the program by going to Start / Programs / Sidekick 98 / but... it starts the New User Setup routine each time, where I have to pick a city and then it opens the software fine and it saves the changes to my current calender/memo/cardfiles with no problem.

If I try to start it from the shortcut on the desktop I get the old "The Application has failed to start because SFRES.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I have installed the SK98PATCH.EXE and both of the files from that patch are installed correctly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Charles Matthews

Dear caddstudio,

Have you tried going into Windows Explorer &
Right-clicking on the Sidekick.exe File and dragging it from
C:\Program Files\Starfish\Sidekick\Program onto the desktop and selecting
Create Shortcut here
and then opening it from that shortcut?

There seem to be 2 problems here, and if we could get rid of one of them we could hopefully deal with the other.
HTH

Regards Jim

Dear Caddstudio,
There is a post in this forum (advanced search for Sidekick (+) XP) that refers to the need for you to be logged in as administrator when installing Sidekick on XP. It does have more info as it is posted by someone who, unlike myself has got XP installed
Regards Jim

Does anyone know where I can download a copy of Sidekick 99?
My floppies are toast! :(

Thanks

don@1automationwiz.com

Dear Don,
see the FAQ area of this site:
faq807-0 Regards Jim

Dear caddstudio,
I was having the same problem you were when I first installed Sidekick 98 into my new OS, Windows XP Pro. When attempting to open the program I got the error: "The Application has failed to start because SFRES.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

After uninstalling, I did a reinstall and, as suggested by james33, dragged the Sidekick program icon from Windows Explorer to the desktop. The only other thing I did was disable Norton antivirus before installing the patch file. I did not have to logon as Administrator, but then I only have a single user pc.

Hope this contributes to finding the piece of the puzzle you need.

Ken Bellis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back