Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sidekick 95 out of memory erroro msg 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonecut

Technical User
Mar 21, 2003
US
I've ben using SK 95 for years with no problems. Recently it won't load giving me a "not enough memory" error message.
I am running win98 se and recently ,for the first time, did a windows update. Is there a connection? Is there a fix?
Thanks
Bruce

Dear stonecut,
Have you tried backing up your Data and re-installing Sk95.
make sure you follow the instructions in your manual or
see
faq807-2966 and faq807-3000
and copy or save those two pages for viewing offline and then you have them always available.

faq807-2966 question no: Q02
Although this refers to Sidekick98 it is near enough to SK95, ignore the Resource Files which are a feature only available in Internet Sidekick /SK97/SK98 so see below but if you have any problems just copy the userdata Folder to another location too:
I am not a great fan of the Backup and Restore facility in Sidekick though I see it's merits I would prefer to see the exact files I am backing up and use SecondCopy (Available at
to do it, but if it suits you, that's fine, go ahead.

Backing up Userdata in Sidekick98]

Sidekick's Files
This document refers to a "Memo Write file" or "Calendar file" as a single file, but each of these is actually composed of several files. When you create new Calendar files or Memo Write files, Sidekick 98 creates and maintains these extra files automatically
They are almost invariably in the Userdata Folder
unless you have chosen otherwise

but WARNING, see Label/Envelope/Template Settings below for files that are not there.

Memo Write Files
A Memo Write file is made up of *.SKWrite, *.SKContent, and *.SKNoteHeader. The asterisk represents the name you give the file when you save it from the Memos view. A fourth file with the extension .SKTmpContent is a temporary file that exists only as long as that Memo Write file is open. Back Up and Restore does not back it up. Memo Write files are listed without an extension in Sidekick 98, so they appear as one file.
If you have an AUTOMATED BACKUP routine then it is a good idea to backup this Temp File at the same time too but save the entire set of Write files in their own folder including this one as it is easier to identify them.

Calendar Files

Your "Calendar file" is actually up to nine files in the XXXX????.SKW format, where XXXX stands for your name or initials (which can actually be shorter eg XX if you saved it with only 2 initials).
When saving, opening, backing up, or restoring calendar files, Sidekick 98 lists XXXX as the name of the calendar.
The ???? part of the file name stands for the type of calendar file, as listed here:
· XXXXEVEN.SKW Appointments
· XXXXCALL.SKW Calls
· XXXXTASK.SKW To Dos
· XXXXMAST.SKW Goals
· XXXXRECR.SKW Recurring Activities
· XXXXINIT.SKW Calendar Settings (includes print settings)
· XXXXCSCA.SKW Personal list definitions
· XXXXDATA.SKW Special days and multi-day events
· XXXXALAR.SKW Alarms

Cardfiles

Unlike calendars and Write documents, cardfiles are single files. A cardfile is saved with the name you give it and the extension .SKCard. Cardfiles are listed without their extensions in Back Up and Restore.
Bear in mind that when backing up cardfile information, template settings will not be backed up.The files containing Address book, Envelope, and Label template information must be manually backed up if you want to be able to use these in the future.
These files are:
1. Address Book Templates: skwph2.skw
2. Envelope Templates: skwnv2.skw
3. Label Templates: skwlb2.skw
These files are stored (by default) in the C:\Program files\Starfish\Sidekick 98\data\ directory.
Report Files

The Label contents are actually part of the Cardfile and are saved with the Cardfile so they can be backed up by copying and then deleting all the cards and saving the blank cardfiles in a backup folder as Cardblank1 , 2 etc (wow what original names!).
In the event of corruption in the original cardfile they can be opened and all the cards dragged into them and then Save As under the original cardfile name..

Report files

Like cardfiles, Report files are single files. A report is saved with the name you give it and the extension .RPT.
(Report Templates are saved under the extension .TPT)

Resource Files (Not in SK95)

There are three types of resource files, all of which are located in the Resource folder:
*.skr Master list of all resources available to you
*.skd Detailed information for those resources you manage
*.dat Information on resources that have been recently transferred

Expense Files

Expense files are listed under [Others] They have the extension .SKExpense.
Back Up and Restore Files
When Back Up and Restore copies files, it creates and places a .LOG file alongside the copied files. This file allows Back Up and Restore to keep track of the files that have been backed up or restored. Back Up and Restore creates and accesses this file automatically, so you don't need to worry about copying or updating it.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Dear stonecut,
As an addendum to that last post:
There is a known issue with Sidekick98 and Windows 98 second edition whereby if your computer is not rebooted regularly the available memory reduces until it runs out and then the computer crashes.
The workaround is to reboot when the available memory falls below 30% (Right-Click on My Computer and go to the Performance tab and then it will show you %age of available memory left) over a period of time you will get used to the time it lasts and you can fit your breaks around it.
It doesn't happen with any other version of Windows.
AFAIK
Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

I have uninstalled and re-installed SK95 twice.
I have 512 meg memory installed and had no other problems with this untill recently.
My thought is that perhaps there is a file that the win98 update updated and made SK not work.
I read all the faq's prior to my first post, but found nothing bearing on this problem.
It is definatly not due to the machine being on too long as SK will not run as the first program run either.
I'd hate to lose SK as I use it often and am accessing my records from a spread sheet now.
If there is no fix, do you have any recomendations for a replacement program?
Thanks
Bruce

Dear stonecut,
Have you put the same Userdata folder back after each re-install?
I was thinking while I was posting the last time that if Sidekick had crashed some time when you had a temporary file open; for instance if you had been doing an
Extract on Condition and an untitled cardfile was created it can lead to a situation where you have an Untitled cardfile and no corresponding Temporary Untitled cardfile.
I have had a similar message at these times.
The solution that I have found, is to copy any other Cardfile (Using Windows Explorer) and paste it into Userdata and rename it:

Untitled.SKTmpCard

That worked for me in SK98 but the option you have in SK95, is, first stop SK95 running (easy enough for you as it isn't) but check this is, so by doing a Ctrl|Alt|Del and stopping Sidekick running in Task Manager.

Then using Windows Explorer Delete any Cardfile in
C:\SKW2\Data or
C:\SKW2\Userdata
or in C:\SKW2
Which is called Untitled.tdb or Untitled.sdb
As you can see the Cardfile extensions are different in SK98

Then go directly to the File
Sidekick.exe
in the C:\SKW2 folder and double click that file to start Sidekick.
If this fails then the only other thing I can suggest is to do what Starfish suggests
Download the Sidekick98 program and the year 2000 Patch from the Download addresses in
faq807-2966 and faq807-3000
you can then open all your files in SK98 and if you eventually get SK95 going again you can do a
File|SaveAs and save them as SK95 ones again.
Good Luck
Regards Jim

Thank you!

I downloaded SK98 and it works fine.
Is there some reason I would consider using 95 instead of 98?
Cosmetically 98 looks much the same, what is the difference?
BTW, since you seem to have a handle on Sk, Is it possable to get other templates ( 4 1/2" x 9 1/2" envelpoes in particular and labels in general) in the print\labels-envelopes section?
Thanks again

Dear stonecut,
I personally prefer 98 as it has an abundance of features including launching a URL from a Card just by double clicking on it.
The ability to choose a field on a card and have it automatically launch your email(Eudora works fine) with the address from that Card + loads more.
It needs 1 Field to be called email something or other
If you use Windows Fax and Inbox you can then right-click a note and send it to Fax and if the viewport is open and you have the recipients card highlighted, the fax is immediately sent to the Fax Number on that Card.
You have to name the field Fax something or other and if there are more than 1 fax number(s) the fax in that case will be sent to the first one.
Otherwise if the viewport is closed you are presented with the fax and an empty To field and the Document attached. You then click on the Button beside the To field to address the Fax with Windows Messaging's address book, I believe there is a workaround to use the SendTo Exchange right click to send the message via Outlook.

Broadcasting emails to inform people of a change of meeting time is possible too using Internet scheduling and oh I could go on for hours.... (frequently do too).
To your last question:
It is possible to alter the envelope size and then save it as a Template.
When the envelope dialog (File|Print|Envelopes) comes up just select Set up template and then hover the cursor over the edge of the envelope and you can then click and pull it until it reaches the right size, you need a bit of trial and error here and then Save As under a different Envelope name and you can then adjust the margins to fine tune it, see more options on the dialog.
(I am not too sure how sticky the margin settings are though i.e. you may have to set them each time)
The same procedure works with labels too.

What more could anybody want!

I must admit it's nice sometimes to be giving advice about all the positive things that do work in Sidekick rather than concentrating always on solving the problems which I believe are very few, considering the complexity of the whole program.
Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back